Apparently this is bad for me...

Options
I've decided not to count so much (I get extremely obsessive)... but I have done some counting in the past and I know that my portions/meals are all below a certian number of calories. So if I eat my usual breakfast, snacks, and dinner, then I know I can eat a piece of fruit and 10 nuts for lunch and lose weight. And I have lost weight the past 2 weeks doing this, a whole pound! Yay.

But now, ever since doing this, my mother, and my co workers swear that I will gain weight and get fat eating such a small lunch...and they have told me so... EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS. They also told me my body weight exercise program breaks down my muscles instead of building it up (wut???) ...

I've tried to tell them it's all cico...but yeah. You know.

Sorry guess I'm just ranting. Just wanted to tell you all about the ignorance of the people I live with...

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should just listen to my headphones and put on my *kitten* face :smirk:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    My dad is a chronic advice giver. I've mastered the art of the "mmm-hmm", which I've found to be the quickest way to end any advice session.

Oh, and I've lost 75+ lb almost never eating breakfast, and lunch is usually just a granola bar or two, then one big meal for dinner. Just the way I prefer to eat.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    My dad is a chronic advice giver. I've mastered the art of the "mmm-hmm", which I've found to be the quickest way to end any advice session.

Oh, and I've lost 75+ lb almost never eating breakfast, and lunch is usually just a granola bar or two, then one big meal for dinner. Just the way I prefer to eat.

Yeah I've tried that haha. Usually my mom quits ranting then but my co workers? Man those are a thick skinned bunch. They keep yapping on even while I basically try to ignore them.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter, as you already know. 1 pound of loss per 2 weeks sounds like a nice rate of loss. The strength training will help maintain muscle mass. Just stop discussing weight loss with them at all.
  • MyWeigh94
    MyWeigh94 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My sister and mom are the same way. They all say that low carb / keto is the only way to lose weight. And they claim you don't have to watch your calorie intake at all. And it's like why have you been eating that way for so long and you've gained weight.... super frustrating.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of ED, are you overweight? Is it true concern or just shouting their mouths off.

If the first...listen and perhaps consult your medical team

If the second...smile and nod
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Oh my gosh! And I need to share this one with you guys...so one of my co workers, she's a real good friend but horrible with diets (fads and such) ... she heard the muscle breaking myth.

So one afternoon I asked her to do my workout video with me since she said she wanted to get in shape. She stopped halfway, complaining that it burns. I said yeah its supposed to burn, that means it's working. And she said: "Yeah it's burning away my muscles! I'd rather run on the treadmill." ..

Next morning @work: "I feel horrible today...I lost 3lb and it's ALL muscle!!" And then she proceeds to eat 3 slices (yes 3 slices) of chocolate cake, claiming her diet is ruined! :neutral:

• Weary33
    Weary33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My coworkers can get like that....but I am a bit of a spitfire. I have watched endless documentaries, read so many books, and researched so much that I think that I am pretty well versed at all the 'myths' they want to throw at me. That saddled with sarcasm, they don't often try to tell me much of anything anymore.

Time to go on the offensive :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Yeah I've tried that haha. Usually my mom quits ranting then but my co workers? Man those are a thick skinned bunch. They keep yapping on even while I basically try to ignore them.

You could always try to out-derp them. Tell them the fruit and nuts are coated in apple cider vinegar and are part of a Dr. Oz master cleanse to detox your body and jump-start your metabolism while burning fat and transforming good carbs into pure chi. Then try to sell them your multilevel marketing program.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Just prove them wrong via success, then they'll be asking you; for advice!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You could always try to out-derp them. Tell them the fruit and nuts are coated in apple cider vinegar and are part of a Dr. Oz master cleanse to detox your body and jump-start your metabolism while burning fat and transforming good carbs into pure chi. Then try to sell them your multilevel marketing program.

That's freakin' genius. And a potentially lucrative side-business.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

BRILLIANT! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! **claps hands** :joy:
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

^^^This made me laugh so much!!

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

This is quality content, but man... it's a lot harder to troll like that in real life.
    You need real acting skills to sell it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is quality content, but man... it's a lot harder to troll like that in real life.

Keep it simple, then. Just say "I saw it on Dr. Oz.". Most derps who don't know anything about diet or nutrition regard Dr. Oz as the holiest of holies (because he's a derp who apparently knows nothing about diet or nutrition himself).

An alternate approach, if you want to be a little nastier and the person spouting woo isn't in the best of shape themselves, is to simply say "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you".
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Keep it simple, then. Just say "I saw it on Dr. Oz.". Most derps who don't know anything about diet or nutrition regard Dr. Oz as the holiest of holies (because he's a derp who apparently knows nothing about diet or nutrition himself).

An alternate approach, if you want to be a little nastier and the person spouting woo isn't in the best of shape themselves, is to simply say "If I wanted to look like you, I'd eat like you".

Yes, the irony of the situation. I'm smaller than them all yet they give me diet advice.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just jealous. ... ignore them.