New To Lifting - Squats are not what they seem!

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    For what it's worth I had your problem at first with both the back squat (Low bar) and front squat. In both cases, starting with the empty bar and just working on doing them gradually gave me more flexibility. At first, my hands were so wide on the back squat that when I racked the bar, I had to lift my hands to avoid getting them smashed. But gradually I got tighter and it became more natural. (when I first front squatted I put only two fingers of each hand on the bar; now I can almost get all four fingers and part of my palm on the bar)

Search YouTube for Rippetoe and squat. That will at least let you know if your volunteer helpers know what their doing. Lots of people prefer high bar squats, but there's still plenty of other cues the relevant both kinds. I see countless young strong lifters doing squats with their knees bending inward and their heels barely touching the floor. You don't want people who have that habit teaching you form.

I see knees caving in and going on toes all the time, especially by those who wear running shoes while squatting
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I started and was trying to get my arms used to the whole idea I used a small piece of PVC pipe or a broomstick. I was going to try to type out instructions but I just don't think I can do it and make sense. :smile:

Here's a link to a video I found that shows what I did. It helped a lot but my husband couldn't use the stick at all initially so we used the elastic workout bands for him until he was looser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4c95kosHes

I was going to suggest this as well for practice and in the mean time, do goblet squats or dumbbell squats or something and just get really comfortable with the movement itself...if you're not squatting a lot of weight anyway, they will be fine in lieu of a barbell, but you'll ultimately need to use a barbell to progress.

I'd also suggest watching videos on form and practicing with that pvc pipe and perhaps googling for some more ideas on increasing mobility and flexibility in that area.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I started back squats my wrists were sore for days and the back part of my neck was actually bruised from the bar. As long as your form is good - you just have to suck it up and persevere. It really does get easier with practice. Currently having to do that with front squats - where my elbows and wrists hurt and will not do what I want them to.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    I just started mixing strength training into my life back on the 11th and I'm a little in love.

Today I ventured into the "serious" section of the gym and attempted to do squats... Except it was so uncomfortable for me to have my arms slightly behind my head holding the bar, that I only made it through 3 baby squats before having to stop. It hurt my shoulders, my wrists, and my back where the bar was resting. So uncomfortable!!

So... Tips for getting past that initial discomfort, increasing flexibility...things like that.

And....Go!

Move your arms further out along the bar. Narrow grip for maximum back tightness works for those of us with great flexibility - it can cause stuff like bicep tendon tenderness for the rest (you'll likely feel this in the front delt).

If you understand why some trainers advocate a narrow grip on the bar - it's for maximum lat, trap, etc engagement. It is possible, however, to get the same degree of upper back engagement by "bending the bar" and imagining bringing the elbows towards the lats whilst maintaining a wider grip.

If you're low-barring it, then good upper back activation will naturally lead to the bar resting on the rear-delts. If you're high-barring it, then the same applies to your traps. If you get this bit right and it still feels a bit "uncomfortable" on your back then you just need to put some big girl pants on. Hurting in the shoulder or wrists, however, is a tell-tale sign that you are not braced properly, are forcing your shoulders into a position they can't assume and are supporting the weight of the bar on your wrists rather than on your back/traps/delts* (*delete as appropriate)

You need to work out what gives you the best squat dynamics given your anthropomorphy and mobility. Mobility can be worked upon, activation techniques can be employed to give you more stability, but at the end of the day you have to find the best squat style for your limb proportions.

This is good advice. Start by moving your hands out farther on the bar. Also, understand that lifting involves moving heavy things, and moving heavy things is difficult and uncomfortable. You shouldn't be in actual pain, but if you want to lift, you will have to learn to suck up transient discomfort.

I have no idea what "baby squats" are, but they don't sound like anything I'd recommend doing. Squat or don't squat, but half-assing it is a good way to injure yourself for real.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As long as your form is good - you just have to suck it up and persevere. It really does get easier with practice.

Practice helped me. Ive started lifting recently. Ive squatted with free weights plenty of times so I was excited to start SL5x5. I actually LOVE the bar- albeit empty still - as Im just a newb and taking my time. The only thing for me initially was just the length of the bar. But spending time on hand position and shoulder placement really helped with balance and coordination. Im actually a lot stronger than I thought. Yay for squats! :)
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Update: I only used the bar, but I did 3 sets of 5 and didn't feel any of the pain I felt when I first tried it 10 days ago!! Progress!!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just started mixing strength training into my life back on the 11th and I'm a little in love.

Today I ventured into the "serious" section of the gym and attempted to do squats... Except it was so uncomfortable for me to have my arms slightly behind my head holding the bar, that I only made it through 3 baby squats before having to stop. It hurt my shoulders, my wrists, and my back where the bar was resting. So uncomfortable!!

So... Tips for getting past that initial discomfort, increasing flexibility...things like that.

And....Go!

For your wrists be certain that you aren't trying to carry the weight of the bar with your hands. The hands press the bar against the "shelf" created by the traps/delts. Since the bar only didn't cause the wrist problems then maybe you are carrying the weight in your hands.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I just have clients do it with a plain bar (between 10 and 25lbs) to get them acclimated if they've never done back squats. Better to just get the form down right first and feel how the bar should sit when you do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png