Losing Inches While Strength Training

Options
Hey everyone!

So I'm just starting back into workouts after a long break. I'm doing it the right way this time, by incorporating strength training with cardio (last time I did straight cardio, not the best). I know I won't see results for at least a few months, but here's my question.

A lot of lower body strength training videos include strengthening the butt muscles, which in turn makes your butt more shapely. Now I'm trying to lose inches off my hips, because I've got saddle bags (only like, 2-3 inches total). While I wouldn't be against gaining those inches in my butt depth wise not width, I'd be happier with it gone. Can I keep strength training my lower body and butt or will it make it completely impossible to lose any inches there?

If I'm not being clear feel free to message!

Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes if you lose body fat and strength train you will lose inches

Yes you should keep doing full compound lifts

No you aren't going to put on appreciable muscle that will counteract any inch loss

And a firm toned butt is very different inches than saddlebags ..you know that :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Making it 'perkier' can involve it sitting a bit higher, lol. But that wouldn't be width at all, no. The fat comes off as fat, so that's no problem.

For the butt muscles to actually get bigger (rather than just perking up), you'd have to be eating well to grow muscle and lifting for them or similar progressive heavy training (like sprinters). Even if you got newb gains, though, losing the fat would make it so that you'd lose the inches you want.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 inches off of my hips strength training in a deficit. Can you imagine what it would look like if I lost a crap ton of muscle along with those 7 inches? Not ideal.

I've since gained 1.5 inches back (on purpose-with a bit of muscle) and like it even better than it was at it's smallest!

Train all muscle groups!
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    weight / strength / resistance training is a must when you are in a deficit. I read of a study where folks were put on an 800 calorie a day diet for 12 weeks and had to strength train 3 days a week. At the end of the study they had lost ZERO muscle. I'm not telling everyone to be that extreme but the strength training is what insures the loss comes from fat and you keep your hard earned muscle. Losing weight and not training will almost guarantee that half of your weight loss will come from muscle = skinny fat...........

caloric deficit + strength training / weight lifting = FAT loss = fit and sexy body :)
  • ekat1257
    ekat1257 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You're all very helpful!