Cross/strength training schedule

Options
I've been running for a little over a year. I'm not great (slow and still weigh more than I should!) but keep making progress. I'm currently training for a half in may, which I'll then follow with marathon training for one in October. For this, I'm running 5 times per week (a long run, interval session, 2 short easy runs, and one mid distance run). I'm conscious that some cross/strength training would help in many ways, but I'm not sure how to fit that in? My two rest days are v welcome (if only for the lie in). I can see myself committing to one day of it, but not sure about 2? Do I just need to suck it up and forget lie ins for the next 10 months?!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Add a weight lifting session before your 2 short easy runs per week? Just a suggestion.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The above suggestion or splitting a strength session & a run. Run am, strength pm or vice versa if you can't do them one after the other.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Basically you should treat yourself like an in-season athlete and do two shortish (30-45 mins) full body sessions a week. Focus on modest improvements - recovery demands will be high enough.

As per above, I would do the sessions on your 2 easy run days, so you can still benefit from 2 extra days recovery. Eat like you mean it if you don't want to end up with nagging injuries or just generally feeling stale and have your performance eventually tank.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just to add, the excellent Steve Troutman used to have a good thread here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801

Showing you how to construct a sane 2x week full body routine based on major compounds/movements. I would go with his recommendation to have some single leg work in there on the secondary moves (RFESS, single leg glute bridge etc) to bring up any asymmetries you may have accumulated through life/sport/etc.

All in all a great way to hit everything, bring up weak points (which is the point of this post) and not kill yourself with too much volume or unnecessary fluff.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has several training schedules for half marathons and marathons. They include strength training.
  • biggins8301
    biggins8301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    watty76 wrote: »
    I've been running for a little over a year. I'm not great (slow and still weigh more than I should!) but keep making progress. I'm currently training for a half in may, which I'll then follow with marathon training for one in October. For this, I'm running 5 times per week (a long run, interval session, 2 short easy runs, and one mid distance run). I'm conscious that some cross/strength training would help in many ways, but I'm not sure how to fit that in? My two rest days are v welcome (if only for the lie in). I can see myself committing to one day of it, but not sure about 2? Do I just need to suck it up and forget lie ins for the next 10 months?!

Love to hear your running schedule! I'm looking to run a few 5k and maybe a half by the end of year
  • watty76
    watty76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. This has given me a really concrete way forward (there is a high level of consensus from you all!). Guess us better get cracking! The training schedule I'm following btw is the cool running 1/2 marathon on, which I'll follow with their full marathon plan - they just seem to suit me
  • biggins8301
    biggins8301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    watty76 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. This has given me a really concrete way forward (there is a high level of consensus from you all!). Guess us better get cracking! The training schedule I'm following btw is the cool running 1/2 marathon on, which I'll follow with their full marathon plan - they just seem to suit me

Thanks! Have to check it out!