For those with disabilities and chronic illness

Options
star1407
star1407 Posts: 588 Member
Hi guys

So we know with our problems that if we set ridiculously high goals, we won't be able to achieve them, and then of course we feel like a complete failure, what's the point and chuck it all in

I have between 5 and 6 stone to lose. If I look at it like that, it seems so completely unacheivable. It's like asking me to climb Everest. So instead of Everest, I'm going to break it down into little hills or achievable goals

Remember SMART goals......
Make your goals Specific
Make your goals Measurable
Make your goals Achievable
Make your goals Realistic
Make your goals Time based

So start small, losing your first pound within the first two weeks. It is likely that you will achieve this, it's achievable, measurable, realistic and within two weeks means it is time based too.
This would be better than " I want to lose the weight I put on when I was pregnant/ after accident/ surgery as soon as possible"

Exercises can follow a similar pattern too. By the end of the week I will have completed a walk of 5 minutes or 10 minutes of yoga. Or even, I will have 2 days where instead of being bed bound, I will ask my carer to help me sit downstairs.

Look at you life, your specific problems. What tiny changes can you make to help your physical, mental and emotional health just that little bit better.

When we achieve a goal, the sense of well being spurs us on, failing makes us feel...... Frankly like *****. So let's do baby steps and smart goals together

Slow and steady wins the race