Options

Replies

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    macros schmacros

just hit your minimum protein requirement for the day

I'll remember that as my training ramps up for my 6+ hour races this summer. Who needs carbs...

Well I'm yet to see a marathon runner that looks healthy and not underweight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    macros schmacros

I'll remember that as my training ramps up for my 6+ hour races this summer. Who needs carbs...

Looking healthy is not their goal, assuming we are talking about accomplished, competitive marathoners.
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    macros schmacros

Looking healthy is not their goal, assuming we are talking about accomplished, competitive marathoners.

You do need carbs...no question. Protein goes a long way in body composition though so I'm all for it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    macros schmacros

You do need carbs...no question. Protein goes a long way in body composition though so I'm all for it.

Agreed, my bigger point (not so much directed at you but rather the macros schmacros person) is that both the importance of macros AND what your macro targets should be are largely dictated by your goals.

Optimum macros for an elite level ultrarunner will be very different from those for an elite level body builder. The vast majority of MFP will be somewhere in the middle.

I like what Meggo said a few posts back -
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    So, yes, at least having an understanding of the macros and being able to eyeball various foods for their macronutrient breakdown IS valuable.

^^ I like this. ^^
    We are all adults with at least a high school level reading comprehension. (I hope). There is nothing wrong with providing information and opinions. Macros ARE important whether or not they are tracked- more to some than others.
    Give them the info and let them do with it what they will. Not everyone wants to maintain or build muscle. Not everyone wants to lift, not everyone does cardio, etc.
    Everyone has different goals but I agree they should have the knowledge to understand their food and how it may effect their goals, whether positively or negatively. MACROs should not be ignored completely as each has a place on their journey.

Give people the info along with enough context to appropriately use that info, and let them do what they need to do for themselves. But we don't do context on MFP.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    macros schmacros

Ya, when I take care of protein, the rest takes care of itself.

Again, that depends on your goals. I was so focused on protein for the longest time, now my goals have shifted to requiring more carbs and I actually have to make an effort to hit my carb levels.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

Have you been to many marathon races? Or are you referring to elite level racers where carrying less weight is advantageous?

I've seen lots of competitive cyclists and triathletes who look healthy. They also have higher carb requirements.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    macros schmacros

Ya, when I take care of protein, the rest takes care of itself.

Again, that depends on your goals. I was so focused on protein for the longest time, now my goals have shifted to requiring more carbs and I actually have to make an effort to hit my carb levels.

I'm having the same issue. Getting enough protein is second nature, but I'm trying to see if raising my carbs will help with running (I have read Matt Fitzgerald on studies that show that even people who thought they were training fine on 40% carb improving with more, as well as a lot of other information along the same lines), and am struggling to do so.
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    macros schmacros

Have you been to many marathon races? Or are you referring to elite level racers where carrying less weight is advantageous?

I've seen lots of competitive cyclists and triathletes who look healthy. They also have higher carb requirements.
    Everyone's definition of healthy is different. An adult man that is 6 feet tall and weighs 140 lbs is not healthy "looking" in my opinion. Now compare marathon runners to track and field athletes, you'll see a body composition difference in referring to.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

Agreed, my bigger point (not so much directed at you but rather the macros schmacros person) is that both the importance of macros AND what your macro targets should be are largely dictated by your goals.

Optimum macros for an elite level ultrarunner will be very different from those for an elite level body builder. The vast majority of MFP will be somewhere in the middle.

So, yes, at least having an understanding of the macros and being able to eyeball various foods for their macronutrient breakdown IS valuable.

^^ I like this. ^^
    We are all adults with at least a high school level reading comprehension. (I hope). There is nothing wrong with providing information and opinions. Macros ARE important whether or not they are tracked- more to some than others.
    Give them the info and let them do with it what they will. Not everyone wants to maintain or build muscle. Not everyone wants to lift, not everyone does cardio, etc.
    Everyone has different goals but I agree they should have the knowledge to understand their food and how it may effect their goals, whether positively or negatively. MACROs should not be ignored completely as each has a place on their journey.

Give people the info along with enough context to appropriately use that info, and let them do what they need to do for themselves. But we don't do context on MFP.

No one here is elite level anything. For the everyday person macros don't mean anything at all. All you need is calories in vs calories out and check min protein for the day. For the gym bro macros mean nothing. For the fat person macro mean nothing. For the runner macros mean nothing. Protein intake does matter because anybody trying to lose weight wants spare their muscle.

If you don't naturally hit 20 grams of fat a day you're probably on some idiotic diet.

If macros are important to you then supplements and meal timing probably are too. For the 99.999% it won't make a noticeable difference. The only exception where macros matter that I can see is people who are type 2 diabetic.

Summary
    Macros schmacros
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

^^ I like this. ^^

No one here is elite level anything. For the everyday person macros don't mean anything at all. All you need is calories in vs calories out and check min protein for the day. For the gym bro macros mean nothing. For the fat person macro mean nothing. For the runner macros mean nothing. Protein intake does matter because anybody trying to lose weight wants spare their muscle.

If you don't naturally hit 20 grams of fat a day you're probably on some idiotic diet.

If macros are important to you then supplements and meal timing probably are too. For the 99.999% it won't make a noticeable difference. The only exception where macros matter that I can see is people who are type 2 diabetic.

Summary
    Macros schmacros

I need a lot more than 20 grams of fat, Chuck.

a3YdoAQ_700b.jpg
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Configuring your Macros can make keep feeling good and staying within calories.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Configuring your Macros can make keep feeling good and staying within calories.

It also ensures you get enough fat for healthy hormone function, joints, skin, hair, not to mention brain function.
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    @Carlos_421 I'll bite

What's is the absolute minimum fat you need a day in order to stay healthy?
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    macros schmacros

^^ I like this. ^^

Summary
    Macros schmacros

What a bunch of nonsense. I'd think a guy that goes by "anabolic Kyle" would have a better understanding of the importantce of protein. Protein is a "macro" young fella. Calories in vs calories out is great in theory but it's an over simplification for people just trying to lose weight (not even good weight that's mostly fat). For a "gym bro" macros are everything!
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    @muscleandbeard

Did you read what I wrote? I said you should track your minimum protein!

A macro is not protein
    A protein is a macro

I just think hitting ratios, or getting x amount of carbs is pointless for almost anybody using this site.
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    @muscleandbeard

Did you read what I wrote? I said you should track your minimum protein!

A macro is not protein
    A protein is a macro

I just think hitting ratios, or getting x amount of carbs is pointless for almost anybody using this site.

Yes you did. I stand corrected. Just saw that, not sure why I missed it
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    @Carlos_421 I'll bite

What's is the absolute minimum fat you need a day in order to stay healthy?

Dietary guidelines recommend 20-35% of total calories for proper health.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550?pg=2

On a 2,000 calorie diet (precisely what I'm on during this cut) that's 44 to 78 grams per day.

I shoot for .35-.42 grams per lb of body weight. Right now, at 180, that's 63 to 75 grams per day. So about 28-34% of total calories.

From Layne Norton -
    Fat recommendations:
    <20 years old: 0.25-0.4g/lb bodyweight
    21-40 years old: 0.35-0.5g/lb bodyweight
    41-65 years old: 0.45-0.6g/lb bodyweight
    >65 years old: 0.55-0.7g/lb bodyweight

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/anabolic-eating-for-your-age/
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Good article and debate. Thank you for posting this @muscleandbeard.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    macros schmacros

^^ I like this. ^^

Summary
    Macros schmacros
    Why do you make the exception for protein and fat. Either they matter or they don't matter....which is it?
    For **YOU** they don't matter.
    But later, if "all things stop being equal" for you, then you may learn something new about using macros to support your body's health.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    macros schmacros

^^ I like this. ^^

Summary
    Macros schmacros
    Why do you make the exception for protein and fat. Either they matter or they don't matter....which is it?
    For **YOU** they don't matter.
    But later, if "all things stop being equal" for you, then you may learn something new about using macros to support your body's health.

He's also making two false assumptions:

1) macros only matter for elite level athletes. Actually, recreational athletes and amateur lifters can also benefit from proper macro balance.

2) there are no elite level athletes on these boards. This is highly debatable depending on your definition of "elite." We have everything from accomplished marathoners to record holding power lifters.