I have no energy and feel weak all the time.

I have been loosing about a pound a week and eating good nutritious food but can't seem to get enough energy since dieting. I am a senior citizen, just had a physical and am healthy. I only need to lose a few more pounds. I still have a little fat on the hips I need to loose. Can a person get weak from not weighing enough? I am 5'5, small frame and weigh 126. I used to weight 117 in my 30's and had plenty of energy. I weighed 134 before starting this diet. I am getting enough sugar from fruit, and eat a bitter sweet chocolate bar hoping that that gives me energy. I exercise, walking and biking, or swimming every day also. Any suggestion on energy food would be helpful. I forgot to mention I take vitamin supplements also.

Replies

• carol66
    carol66 Posts: 8 Member
    I have been loosing about a pound a week and eating good nutritious food but can't seem to get enough energy since dieting. I am a senior citizen, just had a physical and am healthy. I only need to lose a few more pounds. I still have a little fat on the hips I need to loose. Can a person get weak from not weighing enough? I am 5'5, small frame and weigh 126. I used to weight 117 in my 30's and had plenty of energy. I weighed 134 before starting this diet. I am getting enough sugar from fruit, and eat a bitter sweet chocolate bar hoping that that gives me energy. I exercise, walking and biking, or swimming every day also. Any suggestion on energy food would be helpful. I forgot to mention I take vitamin supplements also.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    hi,

my mom is in her 70's and workouts too. she works out to build bone density. besides the aerobic exercise that you are getting, you also need to build muscle. muscle burns fat even at rest. when you diet and exercise you can lose fat and muscle. maybe that is what has happened with you. as far as your diet, are you getting fresh fruits and vegetables? do you still eat processed carbs like potato chips, cookies, etc?

good luck
    Pam
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I don't have any magical ideas, but I do know for myself that I need to make sure I have a bit of good carbs and protein with each of my meals. Fiber which has the good carbs in them has alot of energy in them. That is my only real thought on what may be the possibility.

Eve
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Hi, carol 66,

I am in my 50s and it is much harder to lose the weight as I age, and perhaps you should listen to your body. I know I will never weigh 140 again. I don't even aspire to do so. In my 30s I think I was thinner (140) for many reasons, not the least of which is I was just more active in general and the metabolism does slow significantly as the aging process continues. Most BMI calculators and heart rate calculators give different recommendations based on age, so it stands to reason that there is a correlation.

I think 126 sounds pretty good for your height. You have checked with a nutritionist or doctor concerning your ideal weight range, right? I don't know for sure, but it sounds as though you should be close to your ideal weight for your age and size, and if so, your body doesn't want you to go too low??

(My disclaimer is that I am just guessing here based on what I have read. I am not in any way a professional fitness/ nutritionist / or medical professional.)

~cm