I think I missed the Clean Eating memo...

Options

Replies

• ilovediatoms
    ilovediatoms Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't really matter. You only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight
    I'm sorry but I literally cringe when I read stuff like this.

:s me too

homemade spaghetti bolognese may be lower in calories than pizza, but it's not much healthier...think about it: depending on the type of pasta, you're still getting processed, high glycemic carbs, just like from the pizza crust. if you use sauce from a jar, it's typically full of added sugar and sodium. and then most people make their bolognese sauce with ground beef (here's a recipe that i am using to make broad generalizations), and it's generally accepted that ground beef is not particularly healthy (although lean red meat is a good source of iron when used in moderation).

now, if you make your own sauce (to ensure no added sugar or excess salt), use lean ground turkey, add extra veggies (i add carrots, spinach and bell peppers to my red sauce) and pick a low-glycemic pasta (or use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash), then i would say that is a healthy spag bol.

please don't kid yourself that traditional spaghetti bolognese is healthy, though.

if you want to eat it, by all means, that's your prerogative, but be realistic about the nutritional value.

i'm not pretending that i have a picture perfect diet, but i also don't pretend that a bacon cheeseburger or lasagna is healthy just because i made it at home.

and i can't even get started on boxed cereal...

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating pretty healthy to me. Cooking at home is almost always better than eating out or eating processed. As far as cereal, I love my mini wheats. I know in the current "sugar is poison" fad, many people would say its terrible for me, but it's just that- a fad. Back in the 80s it was fat that was the poison and then they realized super low-fat wasnt good for you. Does your cereal have enough fiber to keep you full and prevent a sugar spike? Then youre doing just fine. Fads will come and go, but moderation of everything, cooking at home, and eating a diet thats not too extreme so that you actually maintain it for life, is always going to be whats best for you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Aw, thanks everyone! That's all good to hear. I'm definitely of the belief that if you just eat less you'll lose weight. And it's nice to know I'm not alone in that :smile:

You are definitely not alone. The majority of those who have lost weight and kept it off did so by modifying their diet, not completely changing it. Finding "healthier" options for favorite foods and controlling portions instead of totally forgoing those foods is the way to create a deficit while still enjoying meals. Besides, "clean" is a meaningless term. Eat the majority of your foods from nutrition packed foods you enjoy and prepared yourself and you will be just fine.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I made this and it was goooood. Spinach or kale, whatevs.

http://sharedappetite.com/recipes/rustic-tuscan-style-sausage-white-bean-and-kale-soup/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup is so popular here they include it in the soup bar in the supermarkets.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What you eat doesn't really matter. You only need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight

homemade spaghetti bolognese may be lower in calories than pizza, but it's not much healthier...think about it: depending on the type of pasta, you're still getting processed, high glycemic carbs, just like from the pizza crust. if you use sauce from a jar, it's typically full of added sugar and sodium. and then most people make their bolognese sauce with ground beef (here's a recipe that i am using to make broad generalizations), and it's generally accepted that ground beef is not particularly healthy (although lean red meat is a good source of iron when used in moderation).

now, if you make your own sauce (to ensure no added sugar or excess salt), use lean ground turkey, add extra veggies (i add carrots, spinach and bell peppers to my red sauce) and pick a low-glycemic pasta (or use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash), then i would say that is a healthy spag bol.

please don't kid yourself that traditional spaghetti bolognese is healthy, though.

if you want to eat it, by all means, that's your prerogative, but be realistic about the nutritional value.

i'm not pretending that i have a picture perfect diet, but i also don't pretend that a bacon cheeseburger or lasagna is healthy just because i made it at home.

FTR - Bolognese sauce is officially beef, pancetta, celery, onions, carrots, tomato paste, milk, red or white wine and salt and pepper.
    No sugar. No other spices (although a little nutmeg is accepted by some). No ground turkey.

/foodie rant.

I still eat it.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Sorry, what's not healthy about it? You have a good mix of proteins, carbs, fats?
  • ilovediatoms
    Options
    if you clicked on the link i provided, that's what it says, minus the milk. i mentioned sugar because if you don't make your own sauce (many people don't), store-bought jars of sauce generally have added sugar.

and like i said before, eat what you want, just be objective about the nutrition
  • ilovediatoms
    Options
    if you clicked on the link i provided, that's what it says, minus the milk. i mentioned sugar because if you don't make your own sauce (many people don't), store-bought jars of sauce generally have added sugar.

and like i said before, eat what you want, just be objective about the nutrition
  • ilovediatoms
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Sorry, what's not healthy about it? You have a good mix of proteins, carbs, fats?

what's not healthy about pepperoni pizza? that's also a mix of proteins, carbs and fats
    ;)

• FatMoojor
    Options

what's not healthy about pepperoni pizza? that's also a mix of proteins, carbs and fats
    ;)

That's exactly the point there is NOTHING unhealthy about Pepperoni Pizza, so long as you don't sit down and consume so much of it that you are way over your calorie limits. Food is not unhealthy, so long as it is consumed in moderate and sensible amounts and eaten as part of a balanced diet.

If you are only eating Pepperoni Pizza, then yeah, you will probably get to a point where you are having problems because your not going to be getting balanced levels of macros needed to maintain a healthy body but if pizza fits in with your calorie goals and your macro goals then there is no reason why you can't have it as often as you like.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Kale soup :s It will never be a good sub for anything especially spaghetti bolognese. You can sneak some extra veggies into it and bulk it up but honestly I'd just make room that day in my calories for a serving.

There are better greens available both in nutrition and taste if you ever did want green soup.
  • FatMoojor
    Options

But it still doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the store-bought jars have added sugar, so long as you are eating it as part of a balanced diet. So you get some extra sugar in your spag bol, you eat a little less sugar from something else instead. Diet balances out and the outcome for the body is the same.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

;)

Oh, you get it now.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear these experts touting their advice, a little voice pops into my head and says "Whatever, I do what I want", complete with the snapping fingers. tumblr_n3l21pdEeB1skh0gdo1_400.gif

Seriously, everybody has an opinion on what's healthy. I just let those opinions roll off me. I like to practice moderation. Others like to be more restrictive. It comes down to, you do you and they do them. Keep your Spagbol. It's clearly something you like and it works for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

pop quiz...what's the difference between 93% lean ground beef and 93% lean ground turkey?

I also don't make my bolognese from jarred sauce...I make my own sauce...and yeah, I use ground beef. And there's nothing inherently wrong with pasta when eaten in appropriate portions...so I fail to see any of your points as particularly valid.

My pasta bolognese actually has a pretty good nutritional profile and macro breakdown...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

So?
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Trust me lady, I feel ya! I remember when I told someone I was trying to create a healthier version of something (can't remember what it was) and he shamed and slammed me because I was using turkey or chicken breast. He's a vegan so anything from an animal would not be considered clean to him. Basically laughed at my efforts and discounted everything and I'm sitting there with the "Dayum....at least I'm trying" look on my face. In my opinion, eating clean is subjective. For some, it's organic greens and fortified dirt and for others it's "Hey....it's not a cheeseburger." LMBO. I feel that clean eating is the process in when a person is making healthier food choices to accommodate their journey to a healthier lifestyle.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

pop quiz...what's the difference between 93% lean ground beef and 93% lean ground turkey?

I also don't make my bolognese from jarred sauce...I make my own sauce...and yeah, I use ground beef. And there's nothing inherently wrong with pasta when eaten in appropriate portions...so I fail to see any of your points as particularly valid.

My pasta bolognese actually has a pretty good nutritional profile and macro breakdown...

Feathers!!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup is so popular here they include it in the soup bar in the supermarkets.

I think it's popular everywhere. Popular here in Chicago, and I saw it at the Safeway in my parent's town in the Pacific NW.