Stretch Marks and Weight Loss

Options
nikd31
nikd31 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hello all, I'm curious if anyone has dealt with a similar situation that I'm finding myself in. I had some health issues when I was in my mid-teens, I'm now close to 30 and no longer have these issues. While dealing with these issues, I had gained a lot of water weight very very quickly and during a hospital stay, lost most of the weight within a couple days. I was then put on a high dose of a steroid and was told that a side effect would be weight gain. I gained, again, but this time it wasn't water weight and it didn't come off easily after my health issues were resolved.

During all of the rapid weight fluctuations, I now have a significant amount of stretch marks all over my body. I'm starting my weight loss journey this year and my concern is what things will look like once I start losing a significant amount of weight. I know that they do not go away, and I'm not at all embarrassed by them, and regardless of what it looks like, I'm still following through with my weight loss.

Has anyone had any experiences with stretch marks and weight loss? Could it cause loose skin to be more prominent than someone who doesn't have these marks?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the process of losing but I'm down 50 pounds (around 15 to go.) I have found that my stretch marks go in waves of being more visible and less visible. They seem to get more visible before I drop several pounds and then fade a bit. My stomach is very stretched, though I still have hope that it will shrink quite a bit with these final pounds. I don't feel like the stretch marks will be more prominent because of it but I am not certain.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am covered in stretch marks, the smaller you get the less you notice them tbh mainly because they shrink with the skin!