Hungry all of the time

Options
erica6732
erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
I don't know why my body is like this, but when I eat a meal - I am usually hungry about 2 hours later. If I eat a meal that is all carbs like a bowl of noodles - then it is like 1 hour. Usually my meals consist of a one cup of a starchy carb and between 5 or 6 grams of meat for dinner and maybe a little bit of vegetables.- and a starchy carb and eggs or bacon for breakfast. And my body burns through snacks so quickly that I don't even bother to eat them - they just end up being empty calories. For example - if I am hungry I have to have a meal. For example if I am in between meals I won't eat fruit, vegetables, salad, pasta, nuts, any type of bread product, tortillas, any type of liquid shake or smoothie. the only thing that fills me up are meat, potatoes, rice, grits, eggs. So if I get hungry in between meals like after breakfast, I will just take a pain pill( I get headaches if i don't eat a certain amount of food.) and I just stay hungry until lunchtime. I get enough calories - I am not starving myself or anything like that. My body hasn't always been like this - this started few years ago. Is there anyone else like this out there - whose body burns through food like an 18 wheeler?

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Protein, so far as I know, is scientifically proven to keep you fuller for longer. Some people I've read also recommend upping your healthy fat intake.
    So definitely add more of those to your diet and cut down a little bit on all of those carbs if you can, especially processed white carbs, who's sugars will have you feeling hungry pretty soon after eating.

Likewise if you're on medication a side effect of those can also be false hunger, leading a person to eat more and gain weight (hence why anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, etc will have weight gain as a possible side effect).

In the end, it may be painful but until your body adjusts you may just have to muscle through the hunger and not eat. I have to do this a lot because I too am hungry all the time due to my meds and I find that chewing on gum helps a lot.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Your body is like that because you are a human. Eat a snack at 1.5 hours and then you won't be as hungry at the 2 hour mark. Then you can make it to the 3rd hour after your meal and eat another meal. I don't know why everyone thinks we are supposed to go hours and hours without eating. Is that a thing?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you mean 5 or 6 oz of meat - not grams??

So, assuming that you're eating 150g (6oz) of meat, I'd up that to nearer 200g (8oz). Then I would fill your plate up with vegetables - it's the fibre that fills you up.

I never have starchy carbs with dinner, so I'd forget those.

It's carbs that make you hungry!!! If you must eat carbs then make them complex carbs. That's basically brown instead of white.

If you eat more proteins, fats and fibre rich foods, you shouldnt get as hungry.

Snacking on nuts should fill you up too! Apples are good too (lots of fibre)

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    well I eat every 3 hours if I dont Id be starving,I have protein at every snack I try to stick to 1500-1700 cals a day ,Im pretty active so that does help,but if I had to go for hours without eating I would be miserable!
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When I mentioned this, someone suggested to me that what I was feeling was not necessarily hunger, but just my body moving my food through my system. Consider this: http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspot.com/2010/02/toxic-hunger-main-cause-of-obesity-by.html
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks all
  • djfldjfl
    djfldjfl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are many animals that will eat themselves to death given an abundance of food. Humans are one of them. We crave sugars and fats because they're relatively hard to come across "in the wild" and small amounts are essential for us. We didn't evolve in conditions like we have...an abundance of food, McDonalds every 2nd corner, Starbucks every other corner, etc etc. It takes a Lot of self-discipline to be in shape in our society. A lot of mind over matter, telling your body and instincts "no."

It ain't easy, but it is necessary if you want to be healthy.
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    I eat rather healthy and have this problem. I can eat a meal full of beans, seeds, fruits and veggies and no matter how much I eat, I don't feel as full or satisfied as I do having bread or starches of some sort. Cheese seems to satisfy me too, but I've cut that out and yogurt doesn't help keep me full at all. Protein in general doesn't, I can cook 2 breasts of chicken and be really hungry after an hour or so, but if I ate one on a sandwich with bread I'd be satisfied. It's very frustrating, I wonder how long it takes to get over the cravings for starches/simple carbs.