What could this be from?

Options
I go to the gym Monday through Friday. I get on the treadmill for between 20-45 every time I go with no problems. When I go for the long walks through my neighborhood though my right hip hurts for 3-4 days. I try to walk on the concrete part instead of the sidewalk. I know I will have to make a dr's appt. just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    are you wearing the right shoes? treadmills are level and slightly cushioned and easier on the body. Outside walking has uneven and hard surfaces. Proper fitting and good quality shoes might help . Also make sure you are stretched and limbered up
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you walk on the shoulder of the left side of the road? Is there an incline causing your right leg to be elevated higher than your left?
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I first started walking outside I had hip pain also. I walked on a treadmill for 4 months without any pain. I never had it in any other situation.

I live in a rural area with dirt roads and no sidewalks.

I figured out that it was from the shape of the road, which is sloped toward the edges to let the water drain off.

I started trying to stay toward the center as much as possible and avoid the worst spots. I also walk down the road on one side and then walk back on the same side to try to give both sides of my body the same workout. (I hope that made sense!)

Now that I am stronger, 8 months later, my hips are fine. I am even jogging with no problem.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Arthritis? I get hip pain if I overdue walking, running, or bicycling. I'm older but you are old enough to have arthritis.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions about inclines. I have tight hips and if I don't stretch my hips before doing walking, riding etc. and hips and back can really ache. One side worse than the other on occasion as well.