Am I too old to get my fitness and body back?

Options
Hi I am Paul and I am grandad to 4 little RugRats. After a long lay off from a very physical job through injury I now need to get my fitness levels and lose some weight so I can enjoy my grandchildren again. I also would like to reverse my type 2 diabetics as I really don't want to be taking medication all my life.
Hoping to find friends and motivational buddies.
Hope I can help and be helped lol.

Replies

• gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP.
    i am hoping to get of my blood pressure medicine once a lose a bunch or weight.
  • GrandadRugRat
    GrandadRugRat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When did you start?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You're never too old.

Harriette Thompson who is 92 and has 10 grand children finished a marathon last year. And Jonathan Mendes is NYC's oldest Marathon runner and he's 95.

Age is just a number. Sure it may be harder and a few more complications (due to age). And heck, maybe you can't go as fast as a 20 year old. BUT that doesn't mean you can't achieve your goals. You can do it!
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    Thank you
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did at 47

@sijomial rocks his physique

When you're older you're more stubborn

Makes it easier

You know what to do ...do it
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Never too old!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Nope! Never too old to improve your health and fitness. I'm a grandmother and have also dealt with serious health issues. I'm well on my way to great things and nothings going to stop me! Just get busy!
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I did at 47

Makes it easier

Thank you. Oh I can be stubborn.

• Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Never too old! Welcome to MFP!
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Nope! Never too old to improve your health and fitness. I'm a grandmother and have also dealt with serious health issues. I'm well on my way to great things and nothings going to stop me! Just get busy!

Many thanks and well done you.
  • bussyfeso
    bussyfeso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Never too late
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did at 47

Makes it easier

Aw shucks! Thank you @rabbitjb

At 55 I've not quite got my strength back to my lifetime peak (would help if car drivers would stop running into me!) but aerobic fitness is probably better than ever.
    It's different training in your 50's, progress is slower and I've a lifetime of old injuries to manage but if you have the motivation most things are possible.

#growingolddisgracefully
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bussyfeso wrote: »
    Never too late

Never too late to do the right thing. I'm 52 and I'm still fairly new to this and still learning and applying what I've learned.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to make a change. You may never have your "old body" back but you might end up with a better version than you did before. Good luck to you!!!
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You're never too old! My father is 56 and he had type 2 diabetes and was just over 300lbs. He changed his entire life - he bikes ten miles every morning and ends the day with cardio. He also switched to a low carb, high fat diet (ridding himself of his worst temptations - starchy vegetables, pasta and bread) and had since become pescatarian of his own choice. He is down to 172lbs and hasn't had a complication of diabetes in two years. I have never seen him so fit, healthy or happy in my entire life.

YOU are in control of your destiny, my friend. Age is just a number!

** The above is NOT a recommendation for a low carb, high fat diet, nor pescatarianism - everyone is different and this is simply what worked for him and what he could stick to.
  • estephanieono
    estephanieono Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're not even old.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I did at 47

Makes it easier

Thank you. Oh I can be stubborn.

Stubborn is a real asset in this game :)

You're 6 years older than me. You're 2 years younger than my boyfriend. We're not old. We're well-seasoned. Its a good thing.
  • ceesaw
    ceesaw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are never too old. I am 75 and have serious health problems but I am just starting to do something about it. Please wish me luck and help me stay motivated.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    never too old!!!
  • Sassystac76
    Sassystac76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Never to old or late to take some you time to focus on yourself.