Fruit allergies

Options
I've been diagnosed with allergies/sensitivities to nearly all fruits (verified by allergy testing). Any suggestions for losing weight when fruits are not an option?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Fruits are not imperative for weight loss. You can lose weight simply but cutting your calories eaten.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    DH doesn't eat much fruit, due to the sugar content. If he's hungry, he eats other foods.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fruit. I can't handle the sugar, plus I try to stick to a low FODMAP diet, which rules out quite a few fruits. It's not a problem at all. There are no nutrients in fruits that you can't get from veggies or other foods, and there are plenty of lower calorie food options than fruit (most of which aren't low calorie at all).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no one says you have to eat fruit. ....
  • Reneebycakes
    Reneebycakes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common to confuse the ideas of healthy eating with diets for weight loss because the rules are similar...but not identical.
    For your health, talk too your doc about vitamin deficiency concerns, try to make up the difference with vitamin rich veg and maybe supplements.
    For weight loss, you can pretty much eat whatever you like as long as it's within your calorie goal.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Do you have oral allergy syndrome? If you do, watch out for raw veg too. You really don't need to eat fruit, just make sure to get your fiber from other sources.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Meat and vegetables. There are some sweet veggies, too, like carrots, parsnips, beets, the winter squashes and, one of my favorites, sweet potato.
  • jotough
    jotough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't eat juch fruit anymore.....I find it too hard to fit the calorie count into my numbers so i tend to stick to raw veg and cooked chicken to snack on.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight without eating fruit. Eat food that you can eat and love, just make sure it fits into your daily calories. What's most important for weight loss is a calorie deficit, not necessarily eating fruit. :flowerforyou:
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to alot of fruits and veggies (oral allergy syndrome)... Some bother me really bad and I avoid them completely (watermelon), but other don't bother me as bad and I can eat some, like oranges and apples. Can you eat any veggies?
    But its not mandatory to eat fruit... You can be just as healthy without it! I do take a daily vitamin though... It can't hurt...