Not Fair

Options

Replies

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used to think my sister is one of those people that eats a ton and never gains. But then I realized that half of the week she only eats oncea day and the rest of the time she drinks black coffee. And then the other half of the week she doesn't really eat meals, but she snacks all day... so yeah. She does it without realising but it all balances out. :) looks can be deceiving.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Go put that Popeyes fried chicken and biscuit into your calorie calculator, like you'd actually eaten it, and see what it does to your totals. :) Feel better now about that turkey sandwich?
    I know it's hard when the people around you all seem to be splurging and you're sticking to your guns. See if you can work a little fried chicken in once a week or so.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You don't know what else she's eating. When I go out with friends I plan the whole week before so I can stuff my face. I always get the "uh I wish I had your metabolism," and I have to explain I planned all week for that one meal.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    iangelab wrote: »
    skinny does not equal healthy.... she can suffer the same consequences of eating like that all the time as a heavier person... stroke, heart attack and high blood pressure just to name a few. stay focused on your path, don't compare it to someone else's. do this for you

Sure but there isn't anything wrong with eating food like that on occasion and by being at a healthy weight the risk factors are lower. You aren't grunted health at a normal weight but it sure helps.
    Vcorz wrote: »
    Skinny doesn't last forever either, especially with bad habits...one woman I work with has gone from size zero to size 16 the past year....things even out.

It does if you eat right. There is no reason to get mysteriously overweight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Deep fried food isn't as exciting as fresh food to me, personally. Sure, I could have the occasional deep fried things sometimes, but eating that every day for lunch... It doesn't taste so special. You're better off with your fresh sandwich!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    How is that unfair?

Look, restricting your calories now is the price you're paying for having eaten in a way that made you 60 pounds overweight in the first place. That kind of food intake doesn't come for free. You had the fun, now you're paying the credit card bill. Being mad at the people who can afford to splurge every now and then because they've always kept their spending habits under control is just going to trap you in a cycle of refusing to take responsibility for your own eating habits.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    How is that unfair?

Look, restricting your calories now is the price you're paying for having eaten in a way that made you 60 pounds overweight in the first place. That kind of food intake doesn't come for free. You had the fun, now you're paying the credit card bill. Being mad at the people who can afford to splurge every now and then because they've always kept their spending habits under control is just going to trap you in a cycle of refusing to take responsibility for your own eating habits.

That too. 5 years of poor eating and it took an aggressive payback of 7 months of eating right for me to get back to college weight.

Right now its more like I'm pre-paying as I'm trying to cut that last little bit of fat before I bulk.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How is that unfair?

Agreed. OP reminds me of my coworker who makes passive comments on what I eat. When there is cake and I say it looks good "Yeah, but you would NEVER eat that!" then she'll appear shocked when I have a piece as if she expects me to balloon up right there. I'm 114 pounds but I love to eat. I can eat big often because I only have time to eat twice a day. I'm very active and I exercise 5 to 6 days per week as well. I'd say life is pretty fair regarding people who put in the physical work benefitting from enjoying big meals when they want to eat them.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    So it just dawned on me why weight loss its so hard, because its not fair. I am currently working on losing about 60 pounds. So here I am eating lunch, my yummy 6 inch turkey sub and baked chips, while also in my office is a very skinny woman eating delicious smelling fried popeye chicken and biscuits. She is one of those people who can't gain weight. I know my health factor is much better than that junk but I guess I just want to complain life is not fair.

ugh, this annoys me to no end. Take responsibility for yourself and don't compare yourself to other people. So this "very skinny woman" in your office is eating fried food for lunch, so what. She may have better portion control than you do throughout the day or is very active. I find this type of judgement an excuse and combined with a woe is me attitude will just lead to your failure. Yes life is not fair, I don't have millions of dollars...boo hoo life is unfair. No one is going to hand me lots of $$$$, I have to work hard for it, just like you (generally speaking) do with weight loss.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Last night at the gym, I saw a woman I know whom I have always assumed to be one of those people who are just naturally thin. I was both surprised and happy to know that she has to work to look as good as she does. I don't think we have any idea what goes on in people's lives other than the short amount of time we are in contact with them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    How is that unfair?

Agreed. OP reminds me of my coworker who makes passive comments on what I eat. When there is cake and I say it looks good "Yeah, but you would NEVER eat that!" then she'll appear shocked when I have a piece as if she expects me to balloon up right there. I'm 114 pounds but I love to eat. I can eat big often because I only have time to eat twice a day. I'm very active and I exercise 5 to 6 days per week as well. I'd say life is pretty fair regarding people who put in the physical work benefitting from enjoying big meals when they want to eat them.

Yeah, people who see me eat dinner (which is often the heaviest meal of my day) sometimes comment on what they think is a discrepancy between how much I weigh and what I eat. Of course, they aren't there when I have a light breakfast, skip snacks, and run regularly.

When we see people eat one meal (or one piece of cake), we need to realize that is *all* we're seeing. We're not seeing the rest of the foods and activity in that person's life.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Life isn't unfair either. It just is. Fit in some Popeye's for yourself one of these days. Don't torture yourself. This is for the rest of your life. Enjoy.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's true that life isn't fair, and it's not just about fried chicken either. It's so many issues !!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Last night at the gym, I saw a woman I know whom I have always assumed to be one of those people who are just naturally thin. I was both surprised and happy to know that she has to work to look as good as she does. I don't think we have any idea what goes on in people's lives other than the short amount of time we are in contact with them.

Ya, the Zumba teacher at my gym has just finished teaching a class when I arrive. I see her on the Stairmaster the entire time I'm there. She might eat fried chicken at lunch too.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    So it just dawned on me why weight loss its so hard, because its not fair. I am currently working on losing about 60 pounds. So here I am eating lunch, my yummy 6 inch turkey sub and baked chips, while also in my office is a very skinny woman eating delicious smelling fried popeye chicken and biscuits. She is one of those people who can't gain weight. I know my health factor is much better than that junk but I guess I just want to complain life is not fair.

No. You are not losign weight because you think it is not fair and put your energy in wrongly envying others instead of working actively to change your lifestyle.
    This woman who is skinny is either eating in total per day far less calories than you do (for all you know she has just a coffee for breakfat and a banana for dinner) or is far more active than you are (e.g. spends her evenings training for a marathon) or most probably a combination. Or at least, this has been the case the last years, or you would be thinner than her. Simple as that.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not the same but does this one work?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Awesome video, thanks for posting. This should be a reply for those who complain about slow metabolism or swear they're logging accurately but keep gaining or can't lose.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The video is great actually.

But for the OP, sometimes it's hard. Sometimes it's frustrating. but it will always be worth it. You do you and let her do her.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not Fair she says

while eating a 6" inch Subway Turkey and baked chips
    Minimum calories when you eat 15 chips is 150 calories
    Minimum available sub Turkey 280 calories ( sandwich)

This is when she only eat that. We are not talking about the whole bag of chips or one of their other fancy breads.
    Or any dressing on the Turkey

Total 430 calories

The thin lady is eating fried popeyes chicken 1 serving about 355 calories ( i looked some servings up)

Of course this are all estimates

and for what it is worth...it isn't that hard when you eat right and everything and dont deprive your self were you dont have too ( if you dont have any medical issues)

Looking at other people wont make you thin or thick, in other words wont help you
    You want to eat fried popeye chicken...eat it!!! fit it in your calorie allowance.
    But dont judge or compare yourself with others. It wont make you thin and it is bad for your positive mood.

95069916.png
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, like everyone else has mentioned, you don't know your coworker's story. You don't know what she's doing the besides when you see her at work. You can't judge her health on one meal. I understand that it's frustrating trying to lose weight, but don't make it harder on yourself by comparing yourself to others. Don't make life harder on yourself by comparing yourself to others. Stay within your calorie goal and you will lose. You can have fried chicken if it fits in your calorie allotment for the week. It takes patience and consistency to lose weight. Good luck.