Please help...hurt my back.

Options
srob98
srob98 Posts: 41 Member
I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I have been doing so well at going to the gym 6 days out of the week. I do a weight lifting class 3 times a week, just added a spin class 2 times a week, and do the elliptical or the treadmill 4 times a week.

My back is sometimes a little uncomfortable during the weight lifting, but nothing more than any of my other body parts (ha). But, last night, I bent over to pick up a basket of laundry and had the most terrible pain rip across my lower back. I dropped the basket and fell to the floor. Literally, I had to crawl to the couch - which gave me no relief....nothing did. I took 3 Ibuprofen which did absolutely nothing. 2 hot baths helped a tiny bit. My dad brought me over some of his Oxycodone (he had left over from kidney stones)...and those finally helped. I am taking them about every 4 hours until I can get to a chiropractor Monday. I also have a heating pad which may not help, but it makes me warm...

I am SO scared that if I don't go to the gym Monday (or the rest of the week), that I will end up not going back at all! Seriously, I am terrified of this. I so badly want to lose this weight and I have been working so hard!

The problem is, even with the medication, I can barely walk from the couch to the bathroom...and I am all hunched over.

I am hoping the chiropractor will help, but until then, does anyone have any advice? Is there some stretching I can do so I can at least do the elliptical Monday?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk there's no way you should be at the gym! Sounds like you may have torn a muscle. I think maybe you need to see a doctor rather than a chiropractor. If you have an injury you're probably going to need to rest for a while but that doesn't mean you're going to fail! There may be other exercise you can do like swimming and walking, keep eating healthily and maintain until you recover then you can start to lose again. This is a setback but it doesn't have to mean the end of a more healthy lifestyle. The first step to getting back on track is to find out what is actually wrong with your back then you'll know what to do and you can plan your recovery and how to get back to exercising as quickly as possible without making any injury worse. Good luck.
  • jdp9130
    jdp9130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As someone that has had back problems for the past 10 years or so you need to be very careful with it and make sure you let it heal before trying to do anything. When mine first started giving me problems there would be times where I would go a couple of days to a week before I could get in and get a nerve block which was the only thing to give me relief. I normally would be laid out on the den floor with my feet up on the sofa to get some of the pressure off my back. Once I started going to the chiropractor that made all of difference in the world and I was never one to trust chiropractors that much.

Unfortunately there is probably not much you can do now especially before Monday other than wait and see the chiropractor.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It's best to rest when you have an injury. Depending on the injury you may need to take a few weeks off. Trying to start again before it has had time to heal can make it worse, adding to the recovery time. Talking to your doctor is the first step.

Yes, starting over again sucks, but it happens. I've had a couple restarts in the last two years. One for surgery (down six weeks) and another for a minor back issue (down 2 weeks). It's tough the first few weeks, but then you fall back into a rhythm.

I noticed that you just added a spin class. I assume that your spin days are on your rest days in between the weight lifting days. Are you getting enough rest on your rest days? Maybe you're pushing too hard, your work out schedule seems full. Recovery time is important. Get past this injury and re-evaluate your fitness plan.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had no back problems ....until one day I bent over to pick up a bucket of paint and something went terribly wrong. Like you. I had to crawl around. I was in bed for several days...crawling to the bathroom was agony! I finally got well enough to lay in a reclining chair. Took 2 weeks till I felt well enough to walk around and STILL the pain wasnt gone.

BABY your back! To heck with the exercising right now. If you aggravate it, you may end up a LOT worse. When I had sciatica last year, I couldn't exercise for a month....I survived. You will too.

ETA - I would suggest an MRI. DONT let anyone manipulate your back until you know what actually happened. If you ruptured a disc, you don't want to make it worse.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I was in your shoes I would have already been to the emergency department (and I would be seeing a real dr, not a chiro).

Taking painkillers (especially those not prescribed for you) may only be masking symptoms of a serious injury. Seek medical attention today.
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think brian is right. If I couldn't walk I'd go to hospital too. Also taking someone else's medication is never a good idea. Take care.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oxy is a very controlled drug that should not be taken lightly. It is highly addictive and very dangerous if not taken properly. Go to the ER and skip working out until you're better. It maybe be a couple of weeks so don't push it or you will take longer to heal. This is a setback, but only if you let it be. Take care of yourself first, watch your intake and you'll get through it. You might need to adjust your activity level so your calories to be eaten is decreased while you're not able to workout. Good luck!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that was previously said. If you're in that much pain go to the emergency room. It could be more serious than you thought. You only have one back so it's better to be safe than sorry. And I would see a doctor first too.

As for your fear you need to remind yourself why you decided to get the weight off. Tell yourself that everyday. The mind is powerful and can bring to pass what you tell it. If you keep telling yourself that you are trying to lose weight because of X, this is just a setback and you are going to get right back on the exercise band wagon as soon as you're better then chances are you will do it. Take the time to find out what's wrong, do what you need to do to get better and then start back doing whatever you can until you can do more. You want this for a reason so don't let an injury stop you permanently.

Good luck to you and I hope you feel better really soon.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    your chiro should tell you to go to a doctor anyway, but chiros are very good at being able to figure out exactly what is wrong with your back and knowing whether to manipulate or not, if you trust your chiro not to manipulate when he shouldn't and you can't get to see a good doctor in the next few days (you should get an emergency appointment anyway or go to A&E) go see your chiro. With this info you can tell your doctor what is wrong and he can refer you to who you need without him also having a poke around.

I trust my chiro with back all the time and he has always told me why he won't do something and what to do about it.

Just because you can crawl/walk doesn't mean you haven't done something serious to your back either.

don't take anyone else's meds, they come in different strengths and could damage your organs, i'm not joking!

do not go to the gym, if you have been set back, that's life, however, if you go back too soon without consulting a doc and chiro first then you could be doing far more damage and later on in life might not be able to walk unaided (and by later i mean months not just decades down the line).

Get your posture during exercise checked when you do go back to the gym as you may have been doing something wrong, or you might just be unlucky, or lifting too much. when doing back stuff always make sure your posture is correct and you've engaged your abs to support your back.

can't stress enough how important getting your back checked out properly is, go to doctor!!! good luck, hope it's just a bad strain though.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your doctor!

Edited to add: When you are released to go back to the gym, give up that 4 days a week on the elliptical and treadmill. 3 to 4 days of lifting and 2 days of cardio should be plenty. You also need at least 1full day of rest each week, 2 would be better. And remember that you are working on a life style change so any workout routine should be one you sustain for the rest of your life.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of weight to lose, and I have been doing so well at going to the gym 6 days out of the week. I do a weight lifting class 3 times a week, just added a spin class 2 times a week, and do the elliptical or the treadmill 4 times a week.

3+2+4=9

There are only 7 days in a week. That's a lot of exercise. I wish the weight lifting class had made an impression on you of proper form for lifting ANYTHING because I'm sad that this happened during a laundry lift. It sounds familiar though. ALL OF IT.

I'm afraid I have to agree with an above poster who is recommending the ER. The chiro may end up advising the same on Monday. I'd start calling Dr.s now and the Chiro if that's the only one you have. He'll probably tell you to go to the ER now. It will help because they will give you your diagnosis sooner and he can't probably adjust you right now anyway. You might have a pinched nerve or something. They can also give you med's specifically for you so you dont have to waste the borrowed ones and take something not meant for you.

Keep in mind that if they say you will be laid up for awhile all is not lost, you can readjust your MFP settings to sedentary and eat at a lower calorie level that will still result in weight loss while you recover. This is a time for NOT pushing it. This is the time for a different kind of strenght. The mental kind. You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    One day last October, I slipped getting into the shower and caught myself in a strange twisted position. Like you, I had to crawl around for days in agony. Here is what I've learned from my experience.

1) Hurting your back is nothing to take lightly. I'd get an MRI and see a real doctor before letting chiro twist on it. Nothing against chiro's, but I went to one first and made mine worse. When the back is inflamed, you don't want to go jerking it around more. Chiro's are great for that nagging "catch" we sometimes get from sleeping wrong.. not so good when you've really hurt yourself IMHO.

2) ICE! no heat! .... heat brings blood to the affected area and increases inflammation, which squeezes those tender nerves. Get a reusable ice pack from the store, and lay on it religiously for 15 min intervals. I had 3 docs tell me this and found they were right.

3) Stretch slowly as much as possible. There are a handful of them I do every day now to keep the pain at bay.

4) Aleve or Ibuprofen work ok, but they tore up my stomach. Doc gave me an RX for a coated naproxen tablet that I keep on me at all times. Like 3x the over the counter dosage, without the tummy trouble. It may take something stronger to reduce the inflammation which causes the pain.

Here are some stretches to "try".....don't do anything that makes it worse.

Knee sway -- Lie on the back, knees up and together. Slowly rock the knees from side to side. Only as far as you can go without pain. Keep back firm against the floor while you do this. It loosens up the hip and lower back.

Pelvic tilt -- lie on back in same position as above. Knees up. Slowly rock your pelvis up and towards the rib cage while tightening your tummy. Do NOT raise up the butt. Hold and release down. Keep low back firm against floor. Do a few of these.

Knee hug -- now that you are looser and still on your back with knees, slowly take one knee up and grab with your hands. Hug your knee gently towards your core, Hold and release. Do other knee. That stretches out lower back too.

Those 3 with ice got me to standing upright again. After that physical therapy got me straight. With that said, you should avoid working out until you are healed.

For me, I rushed it and jumped on the elliptical and put myself back at square one for another month. Even now, the elliptical is not my friend and will cause a flare up (I avoid it now). You never realize how precious your back is until you mess it up.

Take care and see a doc sooner than later.
  • GraceB2God
    GraceB2God Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh no, do yourself a favor and don't push it. You don't want to make matters worse...You definitely do not want to be doing any lifting right now it could have a very detrimental outcome, as it did myself. After a car accident I went about my business and just
    just tried to push through the pain. I lifted a box that was heavier than I thought and wound up on the floor like you described. Right now you must tend to your back health first and formost. Just eat healthy and move as you feel comfortable doing, but I'd see a Dr.
    You can do stretches and walking until you find out what happened. I personally ruptured discs in my back and neck my pushing my luck and wound up in surgery with no other option available, I wish you the very best. I hope you feel better soon...
    Take care and God bless!

P.S. You might want to try Icy hot with some pain/muscle relaxing medication, Just a suggestion for you.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    lifting rule no. 2 lifiting; strengthen the core (abs)
    ignore your limbs for at least 8 months and f'n strengthen your core.

get a personal trainer since you have no idea what you are doing and can't seem to exercise without serious pain and now have a possible life altering or serious injury.

that's my professional "help" for you.

ps, ICE not heat. heat causes inflamation and pain. Duh.
    go the the ER if you can't walk.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    lifting rule no. 2 lifiting; strengthen the core (abs)
    ignore your limbs for at least 8 months and f'n strengthen your core.

get a personal trainer since you have no idea what you are doing and can't seem to exercise without serious pain and now have a possible life altering or serious injury.

that's my professional "help" for you.

ps, ICE not heat. heat causes inflamation and pain. Duh.
    go the the ER if you can't walk.

She hurt her back lifting up laundry, which could happen to anyone.

OP I do think you should go to an MD.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If I was in your shoes I would have already been to the emergency department (and I would be seeing a real dr, not a chiro).

Taking painkillers (especially those not prescribed for you) may only be masking symptoms of a serious injury. Seek medical attention today.

^ This. It could be just a muscle sprain but I wouldn't treat anything to do with the spine as minor. I also wouldn't trust a chiropractor with this. See a MD.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor and orthopedist, not a chiropractor. Many years ago, I picked up a box that was too heavy for me. I wasn't overweight, thought I was in reasonably good shape and using proper form. I heard a loud cracking noise. For some reason I went to a chiropractor -- I don't remember why and I haven't been to one before or since -- after that, my foot began to drag because of nerve impingement. I'll never know if the chiropractor caused the problem, but he manipulated my spine blind and it turned out that I had a herniated disk. The orthopedist said there was a possibility I'd lose my ability to walk if the bulging disk material wasn't removed. I had back surgery. That may have been inevitable given my injury, but lesson learned about chiropractors.

Go to someone who can send you to get X-rays and an MRI so s/he can see what's going on.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When I injured my back (at work) I ended up with PT, Traction, the works..

One thing my Dr told me - dont ever take so much pain meds, you can't feel the pain, because you need to feel if you start to overdo things

They also had me do this "cat" exercise, even when freshly injured, on all fours, slowly rase your back (like a cat arching its back) - only as far as you can go, then slowly let it drop, past horizontal so your belly hamgs down, rinse, repeat.. only as much as you can deal with - it strengthens the basic muscles

BUT that said, go see a Dr, like.. now?
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain (which got much better since I started working out; nothing strenuous for my back though!). So this happened plenty of times to me in my life. Advice: do not go to chiropractic without seeing your doctor first! It's your back muscles that keep you up literally in life so make sure your doc first checks you out to see what happened and what went wrong and see the chiro only if the doc says so.