Measurements and Proportions

Options
I would like some feedback on how everyone measures what what their ideal proportions are, where you get your measurements and maybe what the suggested proportions are. (suggested doesn't have to be actualy numbers, just like waist smaller than chest, chest and hips about the same. Whatever that may be. I'm not sure)

When I do my measurements here is where I measure:
Chest: around the largest part of my chest
Waist: around the smallest part of my stomach
Hips: I measure around my love handles, I have narrow hips
Butt: around the largest part of my butt
Thighs, Calves, Biceps: around the largest part of these

Would love all feedback.

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    chest-bra measurement right under breast line
    wasist-measure 1 inch below belly button
    hips-round hump by butt:flowerforyou:
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    chest: nipple line with a bra on. I always were my sports bra for consistency. make sure its not drooping in the back.
    waist: I either do right at the navel or where the bend happens when you bend at the waist to the side. Just pick one and stick with it...cause they are very different
    Hips/butt: at the widest part, right across the cheek.
    Thigh: half way between the crotch and the knee
    arm: half way between the shoulder and elbow
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    chest-bra measurement right under breast line
    wasist-measure 1 inch below belly button
    hips-round hump by butt:flowerforyou:

Any specific reason you measure under your breast? Just curious if that's just what you like to do or if you have found it better?
  • thanhdle
    thanhdle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    a good baseline is to find a celebrity or model that you want to look like based on similar height and go from there. It gives a good visual image of the kind of body that you're aiming for.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    chest: nipple line with a bra on. I always were my sports bra for consistency. make sure its not drooping in the back.
    waist: I either do right at the navel or where the bend happens when you bend at the waist to the side. Just pick one and stick with it...cause they are very different
    Hips/butt: at the widest part, right across the cheek.
    Thigh: half way between the crotch and the knee
    arm: half way between the shoulder and elbow

Chest, I'm with you on the sports bra and consistency for sure.
    I have a low navel so my bend line is about 3'' above it, that's where I measure.
    On the thigh do you think it would be better for me to change where I've been measuring and just start over there? I measure on the fattest part which for me is at the top, my legs are very muscular other than there so that's why I picked that spot. Yet I have seen more than .25'' loss there in a while.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    a good baseline is to find a celebrity or model that you want to look like based on similar height and go from there. It gives a good visual image of the kind of body that you're aiming for.

I'm not sure there is a celebrity or a model that I want to look like, but I know what you mean. My only problem is finding someone that has the same body structure and muscle mass as I do. If that makes any sense. For Example, I have a lot of muscle along with my fat yet no butt. So when I compare to someone I think looks good. It isn't happening. lol I havent been the size I am now since 5th or 6th grade so I'm just trying to get an idea of some future goals, but stopping when I'm happy with the way I look.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    I wish I could say that I had my measurements from when I started this journey but I don't. I was already almost 50 pounds down before I ever even thought to keep up with the inches lost. So I suggest to everyone when you start a diet, write down your starting weight and inches. You would be surprised how much motivation that can give you. So I'll show ya’ll what I have so far.

@ 242 lbs inches were:
    neck: 16"
    chest: 49"
    waist: 43"
    hips: 47"
    butt: 48"
    thighs: 27.5" each
    calves: 18.5" 18"
    biceps: 15.5" each

now @ 192 lbs inches are:
    neck: 14.5" (-1.5")
    chest: 44" (-5'')
    waist: 35" (-8")
    hips: 41" (-6")
    butt: 42" (-6")
    thighs: 25" each (-5")
    calves: 15.5' 16" (-5")
    biceps: 12.5" each (-6")

Down 106 pounds total and at least 42.5" over 8 points on my body. (wonder how much I lost in the first 50 pounds.)
    I like being able to look at this especially when I plateau.
  • brit__2006
    Options
    _