Starvation mode?

Options
How do I know weather or not I'm in starvation mode? And how do you get out of it in order to loose more weight, because I'm at a standstill. I don't know if I'm in starvation mode, but I eat only when I'm hungry, and I can't seem to meet my daily calorie limit... I need to loose twelve more pounds.. Any suggestions on how to to that or any answers to the questions above are welcome.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Well we need a little more information about you. Age, Weight and Height. Also how many calories are you eating and how often to you exercise?

If you net fewer calories than your BMR, (depending on how much fewer) you will lose a higher ratio of lean muscle mass to fat . Once you lose a lot of lean muscle mass, your metabolism will suffer and you will maintain your weight on a much lower calorie diet than a normal person. This is usually what people mean when they say "starvation mode" . While this doesn't generally happen in a few days time, it will eventually affect everyone. Just because you see the numbers on a scale going down, doesn't always guarantee it's fat loss.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you live in North America, and are at a higher BF level the odds are you are not. Many times a standstill is the result of less than ideal tracking methods.
  • alicefell
    alicefell Posts: 6
    Options
    I am 19 years old, I weigh 119 pounds and I stay around or under 1200 calories a day... I don't exercise regularly, although I know I should. I am also 5 foot 7
  • alicefell
    alicefell Posts: 6
    Options
    That could be it I think.... I'm not sure, I do count and keep track of everything that I eat.
  • ProjectJepo
    Options
    Symptoms:

Nausea
    Mood change
    Weakness

Etc... you probably can guess the rest.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Google "Starvation mode myth". That will tell you all you need to know.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am 19 years old, I weigh 119 pounds and I stay around or under 1200 calories a day... I don't exercise regularly, although I know I should. I am also 5 foot 7

If you consistently eat, you wont hit starvation mode. It takes over 72 hrs before you body even shows signs of metabolic adaptation. Also, what are you trying to achieve? You are already under weight.
  • Brad805
    Options
    how tall are you and why do you think you need to lose more?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Wait, WHAT?! Eat more. Pick up some barbells.

You don't need to lose any weight. Please don't.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Your BMI is 18.6 (below 18.5 is considered unhealthy/underweight), so why would you want to lose any more weight when you are already borderline between normal and underweight?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 119 pounds?

Ever think your body is done losing weight because maybe it doesn't have anything left to lose?
  • Brad805
    Options
    I see 5'-7" now, duh. My guess is you are chasing a certain weight like 110lb or something along those lines. If so, it is time to put those silly girlish ideas behind you and learn to live with your body. Sure you might have a little something at the midline or around your legs. We all do. That is where the exercise and a good nutrition plan comes into play. Add a little patience and you can fine tune your physique.

If anything, you are slightly underweight right now.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You weight about as much as I do and I'm 5'2.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Very simple: There really is no such thing as starvation mode. Your metabolism is at the point where it could benefit from a refeed if you haven't already. Up your calories to maintenance for one day and then back down to a deficit if you haven't already and your weight loss should start up again.

Edit: Didn't notice your weight before. Honestly your best bet is to just stick to maintenance or slight surplus and lift weights.