Winter storms...what flies off the market shelves where u are?

Options

Replies

• Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    people who move to Massachusetts from down South might go grocery shopping before a storm, but other than that...? Haha, joking. Last year we had about 5 feet of snow so I'm glad if this storm misses us!

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Apparently celery. We are getting a blizzard tomorrow night into Saturday. I figured if I have to shove 15 inches of snow I should at least get to eat chicken and dumplings. No celery at the grocery store tonight. Now how can I have a mirpoix without celery?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My son wanted us to prepare for the zombie apocalypse (he recently became familiar with TWD) and made me a list:
    AA batteries
    Canned beans
    Canned fruit
    Protein bars
    Water jugs

So, at least we have that stuff, and whatever's in the freezer right now.
  • Hamolini
    Hamolini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shovels
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    They say we aren't getting much on cape cod, but got 2ft last time they said that! Bread, milk, batteries & hot packs you put in your boots!!!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im not stepping out of the house since the walmart near me turns into a war zone anytime there is a drop from heaven. I may have to toast my bread in my fireplace or roast some hot dogs if need be lol
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Sanity. Mostly.
  • slgibbs1987
    slgibbs1987 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    North Carolina here...
    It hasn't started snowing til this morning around 2 am and we were already out of bread and milk in the grocery stores on Wednesday.

But we are expected to get anywhere around 13 - 18 inches... so I guess it's a good thing to try to be prepared.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    _JustNate_ wrote: »
    Down south its milk and bread. What about the northern states? Birth Control maybe?

and just what the f does this mean?
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    bread and eggs and water and milk. just like everywhere else...
    people hear we might get 1 inch and they go nuts. its dumb.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Well, I live in the mountain of Colorado and let me tell you that if the snow does get REALLY deep, it's not something to joke about. Even if you are prepared, all kinds of unexpected things can happen.

We had 10 feet of snow from one storm in 2003. Houses burned down and people died of heart attacks because fire trucks couldn't get through. Several buildings collasped.

Our grocery stores were wiped clean and it took weeks for them to be fully stocked again because the trains that bring the food to the warehouses were stopped by the deep snow.

Not trying to scare anyone, just saying that it's better to stock up just in case it really does get as bad as the predictions.

The building collapses make me wonder, why few people; think to shovel their roofs.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Well, I live in the mountain of Colorado and let me tell you that if the snow does get REALLY deep, it's not something to joke about. Even if you are prepared, all kinds of unexpected things can happen.

We had 10 feet of snow from one storm in 2003. Houses burned down and people died of heart attacks because fire trucks couldn't get through. Several buildings collasped.

Our grocery stores were wiped clean and it took weeks for them to be fully stocked again because the trains that bring the food to the warehouses were stopped by the deep snow.

Not trying to scare anyone, just saying that it's better to stock up just in case it really does get as bad as the predictions.

The building collapses make me wonder, why few people; think to shovel their roofs.

We had quite a few collapses last year with a lot less snow than 10 feet! Most were large buildings. Many indoor riding arenas, some storage barns and some warehouses. Those are not very easy to shovel.

What disappears in our area is the same as anywhere else: Milk, bread, eggs, bottled water and batteries. Power can go out here for up to a week after a bad storm, and most people have wells.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I've been in South Jersey (NJ), all of my life & even went to school here; during the blizzard of 1996. Back then we were like, how most of the Canadians above're but after approximately 2 decades, of being coddled by practically no snow; everything closes if we have more than an inch & yet I remember having to climb snow mounds, nearly 2/3rds of my height (I was 15 years old); just to go to the bus stop & the children, use to get sleds for Christmas; I haven't seen a store bought sled here in about 15 years.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Flashlights. Shovels. Car scrapers. But in Central Ohio you'd think most people would already have these things...

We never get any more than 6-8in at a time and this winter has been VERY mild. You know, the year I invest in a All Wheel Drive vehicle...LOL

Anyway, luckily we aren't supposed to get any of this mess, but my parent's in Pittsburgh are. Shout out to all those stuck in your houses on the East Coast. Enjoy your french toast and booze!
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Nothing that I've noticed here in the UK. Our weather sucks (like, ALL year round) but thankfully it rarely(*) tries to murder us.

(*)Boxing Day floods - December 2015. 'The Great Storm' - October 1987
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Flashlights. Shovels. Car scrapers. But in Central Ohio you'd think most people would already have these things...

We never get any more than 6-8in at a time and this winter has been VERY mild. You know, the year I invest in a All Wheel Drive vehicle...LOL

Anyway, luckily we aren't supposed to get any of this mess, but my parent's in Pittsburgh are. Shout out to all those stuck in your houses on the East Coast. Enjoy your french toast and booze!

Shouting back from the weak southern states of the east coast: Once you start "morning acceptable" drinking French toast is too complicated. Just burn the toast and go make snow angels.

• tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    im in Ontario Canada and umm nothing flies off the shelves here when a storm is coming

if we need something we will go out and get it cause we aint chicken *kitten* who can't drive in a storm

if there was a really really really bad one coming people might stock up on some more food & water

haha pretty much this! except I live in Minnesota.

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Live in the Sierras and everyone is already prepared or not worried about being able to get somewhere if needed (like the tough-as-nails Canadians and Minnesotans). I had to dig a hole up through six feet of snow to climb out out my front door after one storm (snow fell off roof), but I can't recall ever rushing to the store to buy supplies...
  • LindsayB072
    LindsayB072 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so used to winter storms here that noting flies off the shelf. Anything you'd need for a storm we most likely already have at home anyway. Stay safe for those of you who are getting bombarded this weekend!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Storm chips and pop are the big things here in nova Scotia