Fitbit Calories off

Options
I just got a Fitbit and wore it today. Is it me, or can you not trust the calories burned during exercise? At noon, I jogged 24 flights or stairs along with a few squats and jumping jacks. It took me about 30 minutes. Fit bit calculated 268 calories burned. I did the same exact workout around 4 pm, pushing myself a little harder, it took me 20 minutes. Fitbit said I burned 131 calories. I don't see how that can be if I did the same amount of work in less time. Appears they are using an oversimplified formula. Yet I don't know if any device can accurately calculate this. Anyone else depend on the Fitbit for this. I do like the heart rate monitor, but I didn't need such an expensive gadget just for that.

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Idk what to say, maybe your hr wasn't as high the second time? I have found mine to be reasonably accurate, charge non hr model. Or it could be it didn't get a good reading due to a slightly different position on your hand.
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit but from what I have heard the regular fitbit is an accelerometer and counts any arm swinging motion as "steps". I prefer my activity monitor that bases my calorie burn from my heart rate. I believe fitbit also makes one. I can see how if you spent more time moving how the longer workout counts higher.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It takes a few days to adjust to you and give "accurate to you" readings.
    The fitbit group here has a wonderful stickied FAQs section
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Idk what to say, maybe your hr wasn't as high the second time? I have found mine to be reasonably accurate, charge non hr model. Or it could be it didn't get a good reading due to a slightly different position on your hand.

My HR was actually higher the second time. I guess it doesn't take into account, intensity. I dunno...
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    It takes a few days to adjust to you and give "accurate to you" readings.
    The fitbit group here has a wonderful stickied FAQs section

Thanks!