do you measure/weigh cooked food? or each ingredient?

Options
new to this (AWESOME) weighing food thing.

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I weigh every ingredient and add it in my recipes so I can what the calories are per portion
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw then cook it usually.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weigh raw.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    okay so how would you weigh... for example. cooking a scrambled egg with a splash of milk and a slice of ham...
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i dont weigh the eggs, I would make a recipe saying how many eggs, how much milk (50ml usually) and weigh the ham. Then you have your calories
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    ok. do you ever use scoops to measure?
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw and also by difference. So obviously a piece of ham is easy to weigh. Just put it on the scales. but if say I had some peanut butter, I frequently put the jar on the scales, zero it and then take out what I want. The digital scales read the value I have used. This saves getting another dish dirty.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    I weigh raw and also by difference. So obviously a piece of ham is easy to weigh. Just put it on the scales. but if say I had some peanut butter, I frequently put the jar on the scales, zero it and then take out what I want. The digital scales read the value I have used. This saves getting another dish dirty.

smart.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I always weigh raw food and use recipe builder to put it in. That way next time I make the meal I have it ready, and all I have to do is weigh it again.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    nice, ill be using that more.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    okay so how would you weigh... for example. cooking a scrambled egg with a splash of milk and a slice of ham...

Weigh each thing as you go along. I tend to microwave scrambled eggs so,

1) Put microwave dish on scales, tare it to zero. Crack eggs into the dish and note the weight of the raw eggs.
    2) Put milk container on the scales, tare to zero. Add a splash of milk to the dish, then reweigh the milk container taking the negative weight as the amount.
    3) Adding the ham is again easy, just weigh it and add ^^

The first time using new ingredients is always a bit of a pain finding them in the database - as sometimes what you come across does not have accurate calories listed, so I'll often cross check to the USDA database. But after that it's easy as they are then in your frequent food list.

If its a common meal, I'll use the quick tools to remember this meal - and the next time just adjust the weights as needed.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I measure before. Careful though to log it right

For example, raw chicken is 100 cal for 100 grams
    But cooked chicken (let's say grilled) looses lots of water and it's more 160 cal for 100 grams.

So to maintain a standard I weigh and log everything raw
  • ADean3182
    ADean3182 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Some smart ideas here, thanks for the tips!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    new to this (AWESOME) weighing food thing.

I do both
  • Mazza64
    Mazza64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Never thought of measuring PB this way. Sooooo much easier. Ty
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »

What about if something is frozen? Like veggies or meat?

• Commander_Keen
    Options
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    Dreysander wrote: »

What about if something is frozen? Like veggies or meat?

If veggies are frozen then its already weighed out. 60grams is 60 calories, then you just use a food scale.
    Same thing with meat. If not then google the nutrition value and use that.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options

But cooked chicken (let's say grilled) looses lots of water and it's more 160 cal for 100 grams.

but what about the (grilled) 60 calories youre actually eating? you skip out on logging it.
  • Commander_Keen
    Options

but what about the (grilled) 60 calories youre actually eating? you skip out on logging it.

Nothing changes, is still 160 calories for 4 oz or 112 grams. after it cooks re-weight it.
    Its still 160 calories for 4 oz, 112 grams the end result its you get to eat more volume.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

To put this clearly, the calories in the piece of chicken don't change, the weight does.

100 g of raw chicken might be 100 calories (this is hypothetical, not real numbers).

After cooking, 85 g of roasted chicken would be 100 calories.

Same chicken, same calories, but cooked (in dry heat) chicken has more calories per gram, since it lost water and weighs less now.