Adding Fiber to my Diet

Options
My first post :).

I started losing weight in September and in 5 months have gone from 14st 4lb to 12st 9lb this week with a steady loss. I go to the gym most days. I am 5ft 8", and Male. I can now row 10 miles a day no problem or run and cycle so fitness wise I feel great and it has been 20 years since I weighed this (44 now)

I have no problem staying under my calories but noticed I struggle to eat enough Fiber.

Things I am not good at.

Eating vegetables, I really only like Broccoli, Cauliflower and Marrowfat peas. I love mushrooms and eat them daily.
Drinking fluids, I have never drank a lot be it water, tea, coffee and hardly drink alcohol.

I think mainly I need to drink more fluids and get more fiber. I dislike brown bread and rice.

So anyone have any ideas for adding fiber to my diet and suggestions for ways to drink more water.

Replies

• crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Always have water handy, I keep a bottle or glass close by at all times, when I look at it or walk by it - I have a drink. Your body will get used to having more water, and it won't be so challenging to drink it (in my experience).

Legumes and beans etc are a great way to add fibre, and very versatile. Roasted chick peas as a snack, on a salad. Throw some black beans into your meals. It's hard to give examples as I'm not sure what you usually eat. Edamame is a great snack. Mix Legumes into foods you already love and try roasting them for varied texture.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you eat beans?
    Eat nuts for fiber.
    Or find ways to eat some seeds: chia, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp.
    Check the white bead brands. Some of them have a good amount of fiber.
    Fruits have fiber and fluid/ water.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Part of your issue is in the logging- a jacket potato is not zero fibre so double check the entries you are using.

Changing white pitta to whole pitta and similar small shifts also help.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Having a bowl of Fiber1 cereal always helps me+ a serving of kidney beans. Fiber1 contains 55% of your daily fiber requirement
  • Reemule
    Reemule Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Part of your issue is in the logging- a jacket potato is not zero fibre so double check the entries you are using.

Changing white pitta to whole pitta and similar small shifts also help.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that, I am moving over to jacket potatoes more and more so something to check.

I had only just added fiber as something to monitor from today.
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Raspberries,pears,blueberries, grapefruit and cooked plums are all relatively high in fibre and delicious added to cereal/porridge or as a fruit salad.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss and your motivation to move!!

My higher fiber foods are: Fiber One bars, Sunflower kernels, nuts, oatmeal, apple (fruit) with skin, potatoes with broccoli. I was surprised to see Thomas English muffin called Triple Health with 8g fiber and it's not brown. I don't like whole wheat bread unless it's PBJ or smeared with butter and honey. I do however like a certain whole grain bread (Nature's Own). I know I threw some brand names your way but you may find equivalents in your neck of the woods. A nutritionist I met with told me that everyone should get 30g of fiber in a day. Mine was always very very low. Now I can hit 25g easily most days and will hit my 30g if I'm focused on it.

I'm in a same boat with water ;) I drink a glass of Crystal light. I will use a water enhancer such as Mio. I have no problem drinking ice cold water while/after working out. Hot caffeine free tea when I'm cold. I drink 2 cups of decaf coffee in the morning. I read caffeine "will" AND also read caffeine "will not" work against your water intake, so who knows.

All great responses above!! Good luck to you!
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fiber gummies?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I get 10 g of fiber with my breakfast smoothie, which keeps me full for hours:

fos57hv3u9gz.jpg
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    JoJean12 wrote: »
    Having a bowl of Fiber1 cereal always helps me+ a serving of kidney beans. Fiber1 contains 55% of your daily fiber requirement

Same here. Thumbs up on FiberOne!

Beans, Brussel Sprouts, Spinach
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Reemule wrote: »

I started losing weight in September and in 5 months have gone from 14st 4lb to 12st 9lb this week with a steady loss. I go to the gym most days. I am 5ft 8", and Male. I can now row 10 miles a day no problem or run and cycle so fitness wise I feel great and it has been 20 years since I weighed this (44 now)

I have no problem staying under my calories but noticed I struggle to eat enough Fiber.

Things I am not good at.

Eating vegetables, I really only like Broccoli, Cauliflower and Marrowfat peas. I love mushrooms and eat them daily.
    Drinking fluids, I have never drank a lot be it water, tea, coffee and hardly drink alcohol.

I think mainly I need to drink more fluids and get more fiber. I dislike brown bread and rice.

So anyone have any ideas for adding fiber to my diet and suggestions for ways to drink more water.

Avocado's have lots of fiber. 1/2 of a medium avocado has 5 grams of fiber. So good with a boiled egg on wheat toast in the mornings.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    JoJean12 wrote: »

Same here. Thumbs up on FiberOne!

Beans, Brussel Sprouts, Spinach

Yep! Before I discovered the Fiber1 cereal and beans I tried drinking lots of water, which didn't help.
  • Reemule
    Reemule Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, Fiber1 sounds interesting as does Avocado
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Fiber gummies?

yes, love these
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    fybogel ( physillium husk).
    add to water,killing 2 birds with 1 stone.(loadsa protein in fowl too)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Breakfast smoothies with veggies by the handful (spinach, kale, or whatever other green leafy is good) stuffed into it (at least one cup). You won't even taste it. I'm a time cruncher and this was a fast way to get my veggies in every day. I just couldn't afford the calories in the morning. So I eat salad every day with whatever I'm having. If you can spare the breakfast calories, that was my quick flavorful (you really can't taste the greens after you've beat them up in the smoothie) way to get my greens in. If you put a strong flavored fruit (like blueberries or bananam or strawberry) and some unsweetened almond milk (with or without a protein powder boost), get some whopping good fiber, but your sugars will be higher from the fruit. Just a thought. Good luck! :smiley:
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Nowadays there are so many foods fortified with fiber, I'm usually super over on fiber. My english muffins have 8 grams (thomas light multigrain), my tortillas (Mission carb balance) have 9 grams, I mix fiber one cereal with my yogurt, avocados have 7 grams per 100 grams of avocado, sweet potatoes have 3 grams per 100 grams,... even my ice cream bars have 5 grams (peanut butter enlightened). I would look around next time you're in the store at nutrition labels and see if something similar to your normal selection has higher fiber.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Reemule wrote: »

Things I am not good at.

Fruit
    Fiber supplements (the kind you stir in water and drink is cheaper and has more fiber than gummies)

On water/fluids, you don't have to force it to get in gallons a day. If your urine isn't cloudy or dark and you drink when you're thirsty, you're fine.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far!
    I have also been adding more fibre into my meal plans. I generally go for raspberries, avocado, kiwi fruit, almonds, porridge/flapjacks, broccoli, brussel sprouts, canned sweetcorn. I try to add new things in for variety.
    I used to struggle to keep properly hydrated, but have now got used to drinking around 1500ml water plus maybe 2 cups of tea per day when I am just office based. When I am out and about I drink more water.
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling to get enough fibre as well. I have been adding a teaspoon of Benefibre to at least one glass of water a day, and it has helped a bit.