Question for the Runners

Options
bspringer544
bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Introduction: I'm 23 years old, 5'8", and currently 209lbs. I LOVE running and am currently participating in a C25K program to help get me going in the right direction.

The problem: Due to lack of previous exercise I have very weak knees. Coupled with carrying an extra 50-60 pounds I've noticed they've gotten a little sore from running recently. They're not inflamed, however, and I'm perfectly comfortable walking and bending over.

Now, I am working on fixing this problem with knee and quad strengthening exercises, but...

The question: If they are only slightly sore can I keep running without causing damage or should I wait until I've shed a few more pounds to lessen the stress?

Replies

• tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/5-elements-of-chi-running
    I would also suggest shortening your stride. Keep your feet under you at all times.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ask any runner, and you will find they have ran through all kinds of different pains. Is it a good idea? It depends. There is good sore, and then injury sore. I had issues with my knees when I started running too (it was an IT band issue). I started running with a cho-pat knee brace for about 6 months. It gave me the support I needed until I was able to strengthen my hips and legs.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A very fast walk will get you almost the same benefit as a slow run but without the impact. Don't push too hard and hurt yourself.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    After years of knee problems myself, the number one thing I would recommend is going to see a professional (physio). EVen if it's just one appointment. Everyone's composition, stride, gait, cadence, etc. is different and therefore everyone is susceptible to different problems. Trust me - don't let the internet guide you; it's not always right.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Sore or pain? Sore you can recover from in a day, pain is a warning sign.

Also make sure you have real running shoes.
    Some lifting could help out too, like squats, and Bulgarian split squats.

https://youtu.be/2C-uNgKwPLE
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes based on a gait analysis at a running store? This might be all you need.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    check with a doctor should go without saying. knees are useful parts of our anatomy
    take extra rest days as needed. you can try topical creams too to ease the pain
    do exercises, see above, to strengthen the joints
    running shoes are not one size fits all, and if possible and if you haven't already, get fitted at a running store
  • bspringer544
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll look into new shoes and a physio :)
  • LargeFoot
    LargeFoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you run in? Where did you buy them from?
  • bspringer544
    Options
    @LargeFoot just cheap Payless runners right now until I can guarantee that this is a permanent life change and my resolve won't waver again ;) I just booked an appointment with my physician so I'll forgo running until I get more insight and plan to buy better shoes then.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @LargeFoot just cheap Payless runners right now until I can guarantee that this is a permanent life change and my resolve won't waver again ;) I just booked an appointment with my physician so I'll forgo running until I get more insight and plan to buy better shoes then.

i look at it this way, a good pair of shoes is cheaper than a dr visit
  • bspringer544
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 agreed, but I've had sore knees longer than I've been running. The doctor visit is due regardless. I didn't think shoes were that important but then again my only experience with using them is in the body of a teenager lol

I'm also Canadian so the doctor is free ;)
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would buy a nice pair of shoes. Knowing how much I paid garuntees I will use them enough to get my money's worth.

I'm glad you are seeing your doctor but a general physician will likely not be very informative. You would be better off seeing a pt.

Lastly, with more running will come the ability to gauge the different levels of discomfort. My knees still can be sore after long runs or races but I love it, makes me feel tough and accomplished.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @moyer566 agreed, but I've had sore knees longer than I've been running. The doctor visit is due regardless. I didn't think shoes were that important but then again my only experience with using them is in the body of a teenager lol

I'm also Canadian so the doctor is free ;)

a visit is never free. it takes time and resources to get there.

if your knees have been sore, i think it's even more important to have the proper footwear
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is definitely normal to be sore when you first start out. Following a program like C25K is a good idea. Take it as slow as you need to and repeat weeks if necessary. A few tips to remember:

1. Rest days are as important as the workouts themselves. Listen to your body. Soreness is normal. Pain is not. If you end up in serious pain, see a doctor.

2. A good pair of properly fitted shoes are worth all the money in the world. Visit a local running store (not a big box store like Dicks) and get advice from a professional who will analyze your gait. Tell them your budget and they can find a shoes for you. This is super important if you are going to run on any regular basis.

3. Work on strengthening your core. Many people think that since they are running, they should focus on leg exercises. The core is where it's at. A strong core will help with your posture and will help take some of the weight from your legs. Yoga is great for runners!!

Good luck!!!
  • bspringer544
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you very much, @lporter229 I've been focusing attention on my knees today and while you're very right that I don't yet have a very good reference point to differentiate between pain and soreness I'm fairly confident that it is the latter (making me think it's a weakness issue and not actual damage). I did a mid-intensity cardio followed by yoga to test the theory and my knees felt much better post-workout. I will definitely look into better shoes and get my knees double checked. Rest days are very much a part of my program. :)

@Aed0416 I will see a PT. The one I have my eye on requires a referral from my doctor first.