Bruises

Options
Anyone else get bruises on their knees/shins from doing dead lifts. I didn't even think I was doing more than lightly running the bar down my legs, but I bruise so easily!

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Yep - it's a thing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    hahaha yes bruises and scrapes. Wear long socks and be proud of your battle wounds. Actually in time you'll toughen up and not bruise as much.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Lol, yes my body needs to toughen up! Ok, glad it's normal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes. Always with the bruises. I tried shinguards and they felt weird and I kept thinking about them, which threw me off when I was lifting so I gave up on those. Then I swiped a couple of the microfiber cloths that my husband uses to detail the car and started folding them and putting them over my shins under my long socks. They work really well. I still end up with small bruises on my knees but my shins look a lot better.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes. Always with the bruises. I tried shinguards and they felt weird and I kept thinking about them, which threw me off when I was lifting so I gave up on those. Then I swiped a couple of the microfiber cloths that my husband uses to detail the car and started folding them and putting them over my shins under my long socks. They work really well. I still end up with small bruises on my knees but my shins look a lot better.

Oh, great idea!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    so my issue with anything other than a long sock (ie shin guards or any kinda padded protection) is that when i get heavy if there is even a bump or wrinkle on the way up, it can screw up my DL. I've had a wrinkle in my sock blow lifts for me by adding such a slight amt of resistance that i cant pull through it. Some people dont wear socks, and put baby powder on their shins to make the bar slide up with less resistance.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    so my issue with anything other than a long sock (ie shin guards or any kinda padded protection) is that when i get heavy if there is even a bump or wrinkle on the way up, it can screw up my DL. I've had a wrinkle in my sock blow lifts for me by adding such a slight amt of resistance that i cant pull through it. Some people dont wear socks, and put baby powder on their shins to make the bar slide up with less resistance.

I can definitely see that as being problematic. That was part of my problem with the shin guards. On the way up they were okay (though it just felt weird wearing them) as far as smoothness went. On the way down, I kept running into the top edge and even though it was a minor bump it messed me up. For whatever reason, I don't seem to have that problem with the microfiber clothes. I think that you are likely lifting a lot heavier than I am so that may play into it as well.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts strength snatch and clean pulls oh my! I just wear the bruises and scrapes with pride.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    One way to avoid or reduce the bruising if you want would be to use a trap bar, kettle bells, Dumbbells, or go with a Jefferson DL.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Get some arnica cream or gel. It will help with the pain. Idk if your bruises are painful, but mine are, but my workout is different.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Safe to assume you're not into a set of awesome shin scars?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Increase vitamin C and add pine bark.