Cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @sarahredhaira are you from UK? I haven't heard of any of the cheeses you described except Camembert. So interesting.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in the UK. Sounds like I need to visit wherever you are from to discover new types of cheese! Doubt that I'll ever find one as good as Blacksticks Blue though! :-D
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Just to chime in: I live in the northeast and cheese toppage is also prevalent, though more so in the colder months.

I'm from NH and love visiting Vermont to go to the Cabot cheese factory and get free samples! I think my whole family uses cheese on pretty much everything. However, when I go to my fiance's family's house, they rarely even have cheese, and his parents are from New York and Mass, but live in NH. We have a whole drawer for cheese in my fridge.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Cabot makes that triple sharp cheese once a year "the big e special" and it's my absolute favorite. When my daughter was about 22 months we went and she wanted it. They warned me that it was really sharp and I assured them. She turned and signed to me that she wanted more (my family is deaf). Now that she's 8 she still loves sharp cheeses and strong cheeses like blue, goat, and feta.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Cabot makes that triple sharp cheese once a year "the big e special" and it's my absolute favorite. When my daughter was about 22 months we went and she wanted it. They warned me that it was really sharp and I assured them. She turned and signed to me that she wanted more (my family is deaf). Now that she's 8 she still loves sharp cheeses and strong cheeses like blue, goat, and feta.

Ooh..I've never been to Vermont, but sounds like it would be worth visiting the Cabot cheese factory if I ever make it there. I haven't heard of 'the big e special', though...is it only available at the factory?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This is where it is nice to be low carb. Cheese is not a condiment but rather a staple to be eaten at most meals. ;)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is Provel, a blend of cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It doesn't taste like any of them, melts very well. Put on a homemade pizza and you're in St. Louis.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    20months wrote: »
    I'm from Wisconsin and live 8 miles from a cheese factory. I don't think there is a cheese they make that I don't like. The fresh butter and ice cream are a must as well!

I am not that close to a factory, but I have access to a bunch of good local cheese. One good thing about Wisconsin, we keep all the good stuff for ourselves. I love it when I get to my Mom's, I can load up on Carr Valley cheeses. They have a great sheep's milk one.
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love smoked gouda. I eat it with strawberries.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    My new favorite is Provel, a blend of cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It doesn't taste like any of them, melts very well. Put on a homemade pizza and you're in St. Louis.

I've seen that brand sold around here. I haven't picked any of it up, though. Sounds like it might be time for me to do that. All I'd need after that is a Cardinals game!
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    I love smoked gouda. I eat it with strawberries.

Ooh, me, too! Never tried it with strawberries, though. That sounds delightful!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Minimize it, and when you do eat it be sure it's low-fat/no-fat. :)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I totally love cheese. I think I could literally live off of cheese, fruit, water crackers/bread, and wine. What else is there? My favorite is a cave aged gruyere. Otherwise I love hard cheese, soft cheese, aged and fresh, cow and sheep. Not to mention a fig spread. Oh cheese, how I love you!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Ooh..I've never been to Vermont, but sounds like it would be worth visiting the Cabot cheese factory if I ever make it there. I haven't heard of 'the big e special', though...is it only available at the factory?

It's only available at the big e - a yearly fair in MA. So freakin good!