Starving

Options
Already ate a 1000 calories today, and at 6pm I'm starving :( any suggestions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner. If you've eaten 1000 calories you have at least 500 remaining.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast with steamed or stir fried veggies.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eat dinner. If you've eaten 1000 calories you have at least 500 remaining.

Correct. A male should eat a minimum of 1500 kcal per day.

Go out and get some extra exercise and then you can eat even more than 500 kcal today.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well, what have you eaten and when did you eat it? At 1000 calories, you should have at least a few hundred calories left. What's your calorie goal?

I am going to assume that you have already eaten a lot of calories early in the day, and are worried about the rest of the day's meals, as you are already hungry. Is that correct? Did that 1000 calories include lunch?

Without knowing anything else, here are the options as I see them.
    1. Eat something. Log it anyway, knowing that you will go over your calorie goal. Try to eat fewer calories for the next couple of days to even things out. Weight loss/gain occurs over time, so one bad day will not be the end of you.
    2. Get some exercise. Take a short walk, ride a bike, something. It doesn't have to be complicated. Use your exercise calories to offset additional food calories.
    3. Do nothing. Drink water. You'll still be hungry and a little grumpy.
    4. Take a look at your settings on My Fitness Pal. Are your goals appropriate for you, and sustainable in the long run? Maybe go for a slower weight loss (for example, 1 pound per week vs 2), allowing for more food calories throughout the day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    even being a 5'1 female, if ive had 1000 calories i still have 500 at least for the rest of the day. as a guy you should have a WHOLE lot more to work with (my bf for example gets 3000 cals/ day - i can only dream....)

im not sure i see the issue.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like your grandma, but you need to eat something else. 1000kcal is not enough to get the micro nutrients you need. In general, you should never eat fewer than your basal metabolic rate (mine's about 2100 but you can calculate yours here). If you eat exactly your BMR and do no exercise you will still lose weight and be healthier for it! If you want a larger calorie deficit, eat exactly your BMR and then do exercise. But eating less than that is just going to make you lethargic and you will probably end up eating more tomorrow
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It's just past 2 and I've consumed 1,200 calories already. That's low for me. My goal is set to 2,300 calories a day. If you're really concerned about passing 1,500? Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Burn More. Eat More.

/thread
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like your grandma, but you need to eat something else. 1000kcal is not enough to get the micro nutrients you need. In general, you should never eat fewer than your basal metabolic rate (mine's about 2100 but you can calculate yours here). If you eat exactly your BMR and do no exercise you will still lose weight and be healthier for it! If you want a larger calorie deficit, eat exactly your BMR and then do exercise. But eating less than that is just going to make you lethargic and you will probably end up eating more tomorrow

Isn't it that if you eat right at your BMR (plus any activity calories) you maintain your weight? There needs to be a deficit in there to lose weight.
  • mnshanbhag
    mnshanbhag Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sorry, should've mentioned it was 6pm and I was just leaving work - dinner is typically 9pm. 600 of the 1000 caps was at lunch (2:30pm), my goal is 1750/ day.
  • xLyric
    Options
    mnshanbhag wrote: »
    Sorry, should've mentioned it was 6pm and I was just leaving work - dinner is typically 9pm. 600 of the 1000 caps was at lunch (2:30pm), my goal is 1750/ day.

Maybe have a small snack to tide you over, then dinner? Sounds like you have plenty of calories to play with.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    OK. So you're leaving work and starving. You've got 750 calories left for the day. Have a small snack, and then eat a reasonable dinner. It shouldn't be too hard.

Do you cook at home, or are you eating at a restaurant/fast food/take out? Any idea how much your dinners typically run, calorie wise. I would think you would be able to come up with a dinner for 500-600 calories. That would leave you with 150 or so for an after work snack. Myself, I like a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple, or a handful of nuts (love the Emerald 100 calorie packs!). What do you like to eat?
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    Isn't it that if you eat right at your BMR (plus any activity calories) you maintain your weight? There needs to be a deficit in there to lose weight.

BMR = Base Metabolic Rate = What you consume just fogging a mirror. It doesn't include movement of any type.
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. I think this is what you're thinking of.
    There's a thread somewhere which explains all of these pesky acronyms...

• finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

No. On average human beings burn 10% of calories digesting, 20% moving around, and 70% pumping blood and doing other essential functions. This last percentage is referred to as your BMR. So maybe if you were in a coma eating your BMR would cause you to maintain your weight, but for most of us eating just your BMR would put you at a deficit. Move a little more, and it will be a bigger deficit.
  • xLyric
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »

BMR = Base Metabolic Rate = What you consume just fogging a mirror. It doesn't include movement of any type.
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. I think this is what you're thinking of.
    There's a thread somewhere which explains all of these pesky acronyms...

You're right, I was thinking of TDEE.
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What's your goal weight? I ask that because that's what should determine how many calories you eat. A good baseline is to multiply your goal weight by 15 and start off with that number as the amount you should be eating. Then every 10 pounds you lose, lower the caloric intake by 50-100.
  • mnshanbhag
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ^^^ my goal is 86kg for now, so that's just 1290 calories per day :o
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Have to agree...eat more.

If you are new to this as a program, I do not believe you should jump full speed ahead. Take a week or two and eventually get down to the calorie allotment you are striving to reach. If you are also adding exercise for the first time in a while, I'd actually say to hold back the calories. Go to the gym/exercise for a few weeks and then start a phased in calorie restriction. I actually took a month and a half of getting onto an exercise program...make a conscious effort to reduce what I was eating...before I started logging.

...but everyone has their own ideas.
  • mnshanbhag
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I realised MFP calculations are pretty screwed up, now using it to just add food and linked Withings app to track calories up/ down.
  • brittani121
    brittani121 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? What is your activity level?
    I'm at 1400 a day and still have 3 meals and a snack.