women powerlifters....questions

Options
2»

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP - keep it simple. Don't try and make multiple changess all at once. It's a recipe for frustration and failure.

Like many have shared, start with a beginner program and follow it to a T. Get used to following a program and how your body reacts.

Then a month or two later focus on getting your nutrition better if it even needs to be. We're not all world class athletes so calories overall is what is going to help you.

DONT MAJOR in the minors........

My best "tip" to share is learn to accept failure and grow from it. At the end of the day your experience is what it is and what works best for you isn't the same for me.

Again keep it simple. Lift, eat, rest, repeat!

And learn as you go.

Best of luck to you and your hubby!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    lindz4ever wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    You have a husband that's a powerlifter. You want to be a powerlifter. So you come asking strangers on a forum for advice? Better not tell him about this, he's likely to be offended that you didn't go to him.

He just got in to it back in June and is being trained right now and wants to train me after he gets more comfortable. I wanted some insight from parents abd women on how to balance being a mom and training, men's opinion s are always welcomed I'm worried that my husband doesn't know what a womans needs for training

This is not a woman or man issue. Men and women train the same. 5/3/1 is ok, but it's not ideal. You'll probably just do whatever your husband is doing, which is fine. But, most people misunderstand 5/3/1 because Wendler is a horrible writer. It wasn't until I started following him on FB and IG where I began to understand.

The problem with 5/3/1 is it lacks volume, IMO. In my training now, I squat every session. And I bench and deadlift twice a week. I see much better results with more frequency on each lift. But, these are details you can work on later.

Men and women do the exact same lifts. There is no difference.

Being a mom has nothing to do with it either. I'm a dad. I lift. No big deal. You're a mom that lifts. Prioritize it in your life and make it happen.

I'm with you on twice a week but you squat every time you go to the gym??? No offense but that's not right. Squat hard once a week, squat lighter once a week, and recover in between. If you're squatting everyday your squats are not where they can be.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MoreBean13 wrote: »
    You have a husband that's a powerlifter. You want to be a powerlifter. So you come asking strangers on a forum for advice? Better not tell him about this, he's likely to be offended that you didn't go to him.

He just got in to it back in June and is being trained right now and wants to train me after he gets more comfortable. I wanted some insight from parents abd women on how to balance being a mom and training, men's opinion s are always welcomed I'm worried that my husband doesn't know what a womans needs for training

This is not a woman or man issue. Men and women train the same. 5/3/1 is ok, but it's not ideal. You'll probably just do whatever your husband is doing, which is fine. But, most people misunderstand 5/3/1 because Wendler is a horrible writer. It wasn't until I started following him on FB and IG where I began to understand.

The problem with 5/3/1 is it lacks volume, IMO. In my training now, I squat every session. And I bench and deadlift twice a week. I see much better results with more frequency on each lift. But, these are details you can work on later.

Being a mom has nothing to do with it either. I'm a dad. I lift. No big deal. You're a mom that lifts. Prioritize it in your life and make it happen.

I'm with you on twice a week but you squat every time you go to the gym??? No offense but that's not right. Squat hard once a week, squat lighter once a week, and recover in between. If you're squatting everyday your squats are not where they can be.

Different people, different programs, different goals.
  • jmule24
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Different people, different programs, different goals.

Yes,yes,and yes.
  • jmule24
    Options

Keep the OP in mind. She should be using a beginner program and that's it. She doesn't need to get confused with frequency, volume, and intensity of sessions.
  • lindz4ever
    lindz4ever Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice and inputs. You have really helped me out. I really do appreciate it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Not true for everyone, but yes, probably true for beginners. You have to work up to that type of training volume. Competitive olympic lifters generally squat every training session, sometimes twice a day at different times. Different strokes for different folks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Training needs for men and women aren't any different. If you're training like a power lifter you're going to be doing the same things a guy is going to be doing to train like a power lifter. StrongLifts 5x5 is an excellent introduction to power lifting...

As far as balancing training and life, IDK...you just do. Both my wife and I are into physical fitness...she's primarily a runner and I'm a cyclist and we both lift. We don't lift together because 1) we have different training goals and 2) if we did we would have to have a baby sitter as our gym does not have child care. We alternate days and thus we also alternate days taking care of the house hold stuff, watching the kids, cooking, etc.

I lift Monday and Wednesday evening and Saturday morning. My wife lifts on Sunday morning and Tuesday and Thursday evenings. On Tuesday and Thursday nights, I'm in charge of getting the boys fed and preparing dinner for us when she gets home...getting kids bathed, etc..she does the same on my lifting nights.

We both tend to do our cardio work (running and cycling) during our lunch hours at work...she usually takes a long run on Saturday sometime and I usually do my long rides on Sundays after she gets back from the gym.

IMO, the only way to really balance it all is to work as a team and everyone has to carry their part of the load.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Yes. It's actually the latest theory. My squat has drastically increased since I've been doing this.

That's great that it works for you. It won't work for everyone. No plan is optimal for everyone at all times. One of the reasons that this is a marathon and not a sprint is the mental energy that goes into what works best for you. You have to figure that out yourself by trial and error. In addition what works for you this year, may not next year. As I've aged, I've had to reconstruct my training days and volume to allow for drop off in recovery.

I would suggest, to the OP, that you start with something basic like stronglifts, build a base and then start fine tuning. You have to have a base and a strong grasp of the mechanics of each lift first before you can fine tune anything.