Slim Pasta/Noodles - Thoughts? Stories or Recipes?

Options
Hey guys,

So I came across slim pasta by "eat water". In one sachet of 200g there is just 18 calories!!!

I tried the penne one tonight and it tastes nothing like pasta, its quite rubbery...but once I'd gotten over the texture and finished it, I was really quite full! I has it with pasta bake sauce, chicken, mushrooms and broccoli. This all only came in at 300 calories!

Does anyone else use this stuff? Any success stories or recipes? :)

Replies

• vickikreisson
    vickikreisson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find the "spaghetti" and "noodles" the most palatable mixed in with other foods. I always find myself really hungry again 20mins after my meal so for calorie reduction for me personally they are pretty useless as I go on to eat far more after my meal than I would have done by adding some healthy carbs to it in the first place. However they are AMAZING for bulking out a meal when you are eating with someone else and your meal looks tiny compared to theirs. They are also fantastic for when your boyfriend keeps saying "your not eating much are you" as they pile their plate up with fries. Just don't tell him what it actually is and you'll never get that snidy comment again!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's yam noodles! Just looked it up! Yeah, I've used this stuff, just not that brand. It's good for Italian dishes and as a replacement for the noodles in chicken noodle soup. It's got a lot of fiber from the yams so it's easy to feel full on it. I'm sure it would also be good in Chinese-takeout-style stir-fries. Thing is, some versions of this have soy and I have to avoid soy. If it's just yam, or yam and spinach or something, I'm all good with it. My mom likes the spinach ones, actually.
  • Sharcaz
    Sharcaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find the "spaghetti" and "noodles" the most palatable mixed in with other foods. I always find myself really hungry again 20mins after my meal so for calorie reduction for me personally they are pretty useless as I go on to eat far more after my meal than I would have done by adding some healthy carbs to it in the first place. However they are AMAZING for bulking out a meal when you are eating with someone else and your meal looks tiny compared to theirs. They are also fantastic for when your boyfriend keeps saying "your not eating much are you" as they pile their plate up with fries. Just don't tell him what it actually is and you'll never get that snidy comment again!

I like your thinking!! I haven't tried the others yet but will do over the next few days...must say the pasta one was a very strange texture!!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets funny looks and feels judged by smaller meals. Sometimes I feel like I get peer pressured into eating more so I look normal even though nobody's said anything!
  • Sharcaz
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Oh, it's yam noodles! Just looked it up! Yeah, I've used this stuff, just not that brand. It's good for Italian dishes and as a replacement for the noodles in chicken noodle soup. It's got a lot of fiber from the yams so it's easy to feel full on it. I'm sure it would also be good in Chinese-takeout-style stir-fries. Thing is, some versions of this have soy and I have to avoid soy. If it's just yam, or yam and spinach or something, I'm all good with it. My mom likes the spinach ones, actually.

Ooo excellent I'm going to try a stir fry tomorrow....thinking of frying it s bit longer than usual go dry it out a bit so its not slimy :) thanks for the info, I never knew :D
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hated it - bought a few different ones and the first one I tried was just so rancid I couldn't face eating it as 'proper' pasta again. Luckily it can be used in smoothies and the other ingredients mask the odd taste so I didn't waste any. I didn't buy it again though. The Slim Rice was just about bearable if I covered it in some kind of sauce but no, not for me. I prefer zoodles/courgetti as a pasta replacement, I think I actually (*gasp*) prefer it!
  • BabySnigz
    BabySnigz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thing is, some versions of this have soy and I have to avoid soy.
    Can I ask why you try to avoid soy?
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This sounds like tofu shirataki (if you're avoiding soy, there are non-soy versions). My fave recipies for it are: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2016/01/quick-easy-homemade-ramen.html (sub out for the ramen)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dan-dan-noodles-recipe.html (sub out for noodles; I do a mix of real peanut butter and PB2 to lower the calories/fat)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/cowboy-spaghetti-recipe.html (sub out for the pasts; I use pre-cooked bacon bits, ground turkey breast, and reduced fat cheese as subs)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh - and for prep. Wash, wash, wash it until you can't wash anymore. Strain it in a colander, and push moisture out with some paper towels. Then put it in a hot dry pan and cook it, letting a bunch of the water cook out and evaporate. Then add it to your recipes and sauces. I find when I dry it out like that, it holds sauces much better.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, and using a veggie peeler to make zucchini 'noodles'.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat rubbery noodles to bulk up my meals but I do use the powdered form of konjac root mixed in water sometimes to add fiber to my diet and fill up faster. Or lettuce, or veggies. The noodles are not miraculous like the labels sometimes claim, it's just a plant fiber.

If you like the effect but not the cost or texture, look for glucomannan powder on Amazon or at GNC. Or if you have Metamucil or psyllium husk or Benefiber in the cabinet, drink that before meals. The South Beach Diet book was the first time I saw it recommended.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the carb count on them is? We miss pasta in this house, but since my husband is pre-diabetic and needs low-carb... well...
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes to rinsing the crap out of it under hot water, then dry frying it. I've only used them shirataki style in ramen and stir-fries, and enjoyed them very much! I would like to try it in western dishes, though.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I made a pork vegetable stir fry last night with them, it was pretty good.
  • Sharcaz
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the tips guys! Definitely going to try and dry them out more next time, that seems to be a common recommendation :) next stop...stir fry!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i like them. have to rinse them well b/c they do come out of the package with a smell. but rinsing well does the trick. i find they work better in asian dishes than italian. texture is more rubbery than pasta, but i prefer that to the grainy texture of veggie pasta or whole wheat, or other alternatives. One problem...they seem to clog up the works, if you know what i mean. Anyone else have that trouble?
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    BabySnigz wrote: »
    Thing is, some versions of this have soy and I have to avoid soy.
    Can I ask why you try to avoid soy?

Some people have allergies, so it may be that.
  • Sharcaz
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    .they seem to clog up the works, if you know what i mean. Anyone else have that trouble?

Uh oh! I hope not :/ I did notice today that "the works" weren't their usual daily regular!! I'll keep an eye on this thanks!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the carb count on them is? We miss pasta in this house, but since my husband is pre-diabetic and needs low-carb... well...

Konjac noodles are zero carb, super low cal and high fibre. It is not quite the same consistency as pasta, more like a glass noodle. Lots of rinsing in cold water and then dry pan fry them to rid the extra moisture. I use them often in stirfries instead of rice.

You can also do a mix of regular pasta and something like a zucchini noodle (spiralized zucchini) to cut back on carbs and calories. Many find that more palatable over the konjac or tofu noodles.

:)
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    One problem...they seem to clog up the works, if you know what i mean. Anyone else have that trouble?

Huh, haven't noticed unusual activity there, but since they are high fiber, you might need more water to help them through!
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The noodles are definitely their nicest product.I usually make a salmon or prawn stirfry in 1 cal spray oil with mushrooms peppers onions and stirfry veg with loads of paprika, garlic, and some chilli as it makes u savour it more,a little bit of soy sauce and it all comes to about 200 calories. I always stirfry and never boil the noodles.And I find it fills me fine. And it's delicious