Does walking really work? Any success stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 65 lbs in one year by walking on a treadmill and outside. It works along with counting your calories.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    7 months ago I started walking via laps in my basement. I could only go 5 minutes at a time without resting. I have a treadmill but couldn't even do more than 3 minutes. Now I can walk 70-80 minutes at a time via laps or 45 minutes on the treadmill. No doubt I have lost more weight than if I weren't walking. Part of it is that the exercise seems to be suppressing my appetite some.

My daughter went back to college this week. I was able to walk up 5 flights of stairs in her dorm carrying stuff. I was a little out of breath but barely. While the weight loss helped, there's no doubt that all the walking is why I could go up 5 flights comfortably without feeling like a heart attack waiting to happen.

The calories I earn are important to me too. I keep track via a Fit Bit Zip.

I wish very much that I knew walking would be so beneficial. I always thought unless I was sweating and killing myself it wasn't worth it.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Maybe look in to the app "C25k" (couch to 5k). It trains those who have almost no ability to run by slowly adding running (at your own pace) in with intervals of walking. I went from being able to run 2-3 minutes to being able to run a 10k.

• William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    walking works but eventually it will get easier and you will have to go longer distances to challenge yourself.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I started walking 20 minutes a day. Just 20 minutes.
    Now? 2 months later? 5 miles at an average 17 minutes a mile. 8 pounds down.
    Just keep walking! :) Every step counts, and you'll get stronger and faster. Also, make sure to get off the treadmill once a week and walk outdoors- The treadmill is an unnatural environment and even though you'll build strength and endurance, uneven surfaces and natural inclines and declines will help your balance and posture.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm down 75 lbs in less than a year with walking as my primary source of exercise.

When I started I could barely walk around the couch. Now I do 10 - 12 miles every day.

Go for it!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think of walking like a baseline, fundamental activity. Outside is best, as close to noon (and thus full sunlight) as possible. Year round, all weather. If I don't get to go for some reason, I get antsy.