Anyone who is seriously unfit/very overweight/obese tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred?

Options
Ok so I am wanting to know if there is anyone out there who has done 30DS who are/were seriously unfit or really overweight or both. I am really overweight and unfit too and I want to know that I'm not alone in this. I can only do about 9 minutes of it before I'm completely puffed. Anyone else like this? I want to keep going and work up to finishing the video! I have found a lot of really positive stories but they seem to be more from skinny-fat people than the seriously overweight!
TIA

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    30day shred was how i started out when i was obese. i thought that jillian was a wicked wicked woman. i did finish the 20 mins, but i sometimes had to modify and pause in places.
    i used to ache for days really badly. Like it hurt to sit, stand, laugh. i thought i had issues with my knees and ankle, but later on realised that they were just weak.

i was so pleased with myself when i tackled it the second time round, i didnt enjoy it still but at least i could do it all.

it does get better, promise.
    good luck
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I was 70 lbs overweight I tried the 30DS and I'm not sure I even managed 9 minutes. The push-ups did me in all by themselves! LOL! I actually didn't like it - Jillian Michaels just rubs me the wrong way. But I'm sure if you're wanting to do it, you can. Just take it slowly. Maybe it won't be the 30DS - maybe it will take longer. But do what you can and I'm sure you'll start to see results ... and you will develop greater endurance, too. :)
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The first circuit in the first week is VERY tough. Don't let it discourage you! The program itself is very difficult if you are out of shape, but it is doable. I started off walking and doing other "fun" cardio (dancing, swimming) for close to a year before I started doing 30DS. I lost about 40lbs in that first year but I was still pretty out of shape but I used to never do anything at all ever. It does get easier but it is still challenging. You're going to be sore and it's going to be hard, but don't give up. What I did was instead of doing it in 30 days, I did it in 60. My body was very sore and I couldn't handle it, so I did it every other day instead of every day. I did this with ripped in 30 as well...then the second time I did ripped in 30 I did it multiple days in a row and then eventually I did body shred which got me up to my 6 days a week... so start slow. Try doing every other day and don't give up! You can totally do this. I personally hate the first circuit, it is the most challenging in the first phase...I think anyway. I remember the first time I tried it I was so out of shape that I couldn't even do the warmup without getting all huffy and puffy...so it's great that you can get through the first circuit! I would keep trying. Don't give up. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Read the one star reviews and feel better: http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

At 30# overweight, I did about 30 seconds of Insanity and my knees said, "No f-ing way."
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Read the one star reviews and feel better: http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00127RAJY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

At 30# overweight, I did about 30 seconds of Insanity and my knees said, "No f-ing way."

you did well. i felt tired watching clips on you tube
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I used to do it and it was when I was quite heavy and you might not be able to do much at first and that's OK. You can work your way up from a couple minutes to a bit more as time goes on. You'll find some parts you might want to avoid and I think you'll figure those out pretty quickly. Knee issues for some have become an issue doing the 30DS so that's something to keep in mind. You might consider starting out with other workouts and moving to that one a bit later. I started working out at the pool and still love running in the water, swimming, taking aqau classes etc. as my favorite workouts. It's a great workout at any weight but when very overweight it's so much easier on the knees or any joints. Is a pool available for you to use?

Also what I started out with was Leslie Sansone's "Walk at Home" series. Actually you can probably find a lot of them on Youtube or purchase the DVD's,

I enjoyed the challenge of Jillian but looking back I don't know that I would suggest it to start out, to be honest. I think other things would be easier on your joints starting out. :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Another vote for starting out with walking and/or swimming. That's how @earlnabby got started on her path to losing more than 100 pounds.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I loved Insanity, in the way of I hated, but I loved how accomplished I felt after every workout. But I started with T25 and once I completed that, then I tackled Insanity.

OP, give it a try. See how it goes. Make sure you modify the moves to fit your fitness level. I've never done 30DS, but if there are any jump squats or anything like that, just march in place with high knees or something like that, and work your way up to the full exercise. For push-ups, do them with your knees down if you need to.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Yikes! Oh yes now I remember all the jumping jacks, lunges...no wonder I had a knee replacement a few months back and another one in a few weeks. :# I pushed myself when really overweight doing things I shouldn't have been doing like this video. I think some parts of this workout are just not safe, it's been some time since I've done it and the link shared brought it all back.

I take back my recommendation. :# I do now recall many many members sharing on here about horrible knee issues because of Jillian's video.

So glad that link was shared... it's an eyeopener.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to do the 30DS, level 1, I was like an asthmatic penguin. I realized that I should be doing the modified movements, and at my own pace. By day 3, I was doing much better.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I did the modified everything just to get through it, plus I added my own - I can't get up and down nearly as fast as she wanted me to, so I was doing wall push ups instead.

Each workout, if you give it effort, you will improve. Soon you'll be like those reviewers I hate/envy who comment on how they barely broke a sweat doing it, it's for beginners, blah blah.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I do triathlons and I'm at my goal weight (and have been for awhile) and that *kitten* is HARD. Her circuit DVDs have me dead on the floor and real sore the next day! I'd rather run a half marathon than work out with her.

With that said, with time comes strength and consistency! If you like it, it will be fun for you and the exercise will get easier over time (and then she will level up and make it hard again!) Don't be discouraged. Her circuits are tough!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    80 pounds ago I started with a couple of Rodney Yee yoga videos, an elliptical at the YMCA, and Jillian's videos. There's nothing wrong with not being able to do the whole video at once - you will be able to do more in time.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    One option is to try her Beginner Shred DVD, then move on from there to 30DS.
  • pilotsroo
    pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Omg. What a bunch of horror stories! Kind of turns me off the idea all together! Actually now that I think about it the "warm up" is way too short and I'm not sure if I am doing the squats and push-ups correctly. Any recommendations for good workout videos for people like me?
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    pilotsroo wrote: »

Omg. What a bunch of horror stories! Kind of turns me off the idea all together! Actually now that I think about it the "warm up" is way too short and I'm not sure if I am doing the squats and push-ups correctly. Any recommendations for good workout videos for people like me?

Leslie Sansone's "Walk at Home" series. Actually you can probably find a lot of them on Youtube or purchase the DVD's, ;)

I found these a challenge even on the warm up 100 lbs ago. If you do a Search on here on Leslie you'll find all sorts of her fans that enjoy the workouts for various reasons.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have several of the Leslie Sansone DVDs. It's been awhile since I did them, but I'm planning to start up again because I'm having a heck of a time getting my butt to the gym. Her videos are really encouraging and I think they're fun - you can increase the intensity easily by adding bounce to your step or jogging a little when she has you marching. But also upping the distance she walks you will improve your endurance.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    The first time I tried to do the 30DS, level 1, I was like an asthmatic penguin. I realized that I should be doing the modified movements, and at my own pace. By day 3, I was doing much better.

Yes- That! That's what I'm afraid of! I feel like an asthmatic penguin most days anyway! LOL
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred now. I'm on Level 2 Day 3. It's hard but it gets a little easier and makes me feel more accomplished. When I first started I thought my chest was going to explode by the 2nd set of jumping jacks but I get through. J. Michaels makes a good point in the video...If you want to see results you have to push yourself and make your body uncomfortable.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    pilotsroo wrote: »
    Ok so I am wanting to know if there is anyone out there who has done 30DS who are/were seriously unfit or really overweight or both. I am really overweight and unfit too and I want to know that I'm not alone in this. I can only do about 9 minutes of it before I'm completely puffed. Anyone else like this? I want to keep going and work up to finishing the video! I have found a lot of really positive stories but they seem to be more from skinny-fat people than the seriously overweight!
    TIA

I have not. What I can tell you is that anything that gets you moving, where you feel productive and don't hate it is the right thing to do. You need to develop a habit of exercising, so choose something you like, and do it for a month straight, with one or two days where you go light a week but keep going. If it's jillian, or zumba, or weightllifting (my favorite!) or powerwalking or whatever- what matters most is getting started and sticking with it. You will feel puffed. You will get sore. You will feel like you can't do it, but you can. Once you've gone a month where you've done your thing every day, you'll already naturally be thinking about how you can do it better, I promise. Fall in love first, then work on your relationship (with exercise).