Vegetarian meal ideas?!

Options
steph2740
steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
Hey guys!
Im looking for some new ideas for some vegetarian meals, mostly lunch/dinner options. Love trying new things and I wanna keep things interesting so I don't get bored, so I would love to hear what you guys are cooking up! :)

Replies

• lenaama1232015
    lenaama1232015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite easy meal is black bean dip. 1 can cooked black beans, 1 can corn, 1/2 bunch chopped green onions, 1 large tomato, 1/3 cup cilantro, 1 large avocado, 1 squeezed lime, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper to taste. Serves about 4 ppl. And you can use as a dip with chips, Greek yogurt for diet,!if not sour cream on top with shredded cheese. Or eat in a wrap with sour cream or yogurt.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Fettuccine alfredo... yeah its pretty much a cheat meal but delicious!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For me, lunch is often a big salad with lots of veggies, nuts, beans, etc on top. Today it was sweet potato and broccoli. Some days I bring a home made veggie soup and fruit for lunch. Dinner varies, but some of my favorites: Veggie enchiladas, spinach lasagne, Match meat faux chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, veg chili and corn bread, lentil & rice casserole, egg fritata with veggies and feta cheese, potato leek soup.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What do you normally cook?

I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but when I was, these were my favorites:

Anything with lentils (red lentils + water + sauteed onion & garlic + 1 can tomato + veggie boullion + cumin/curry/coriander (bloomed in oil!!!) + some diced carrots if you want)

Bean chili (sauteed onion + garlic, black beans, pinto, kidney, and white beans w/ can of tomato, can of hominy, and some spices, stuck in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low soooooo good oh yes)

Moosewoods vegan lasagne (OH MY GOD SO GOOD - make a ton and freeze servings) http://www.moosewoodcooks.com/2012/03/vegan-lasagna/

Cheese tamales! (i buy them from the store ready made)

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Naan pizzas with Fieldroast sausage, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, scallion & spinach.
    Tempeh tacos with mango salsa.
    Nachos with corn, rice & chickpeas.
    Bow tie pasta with broccoli, Parm & pine nuts.
    Jacques Pepin's Chunky Lentil soup (currently on stove) served with cheddar scones.
    Whole roasted cauliflower (painted w/ a mixture of mayonnaise, soy sauce & spices).
    Spaghetti squash sautéed with black beans and arugula.
    Mexican bake made w/ seitan.
  • jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with green curry.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There are so many great vegetarian cookbooks these days. Buy three or four and you'll be set for years.

America's Test Kitchen Complete Vegetarian
    Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
    Moosewood's Cooks at Home
    Madison's The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
    Ottolenghi's Plenty and Plenty More
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I really love stiry fry with yaki soba or rice noodles, egg, baked tofu, cabbage, bok choy, frozen veggies with lots of garlic, soy sauce and a ton of red pepper flakes! mmm
  • steph2740
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the yummy ideas!! :)
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Im a vegetarian with an open diary. Feel free to add me
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Chili is an easy thing to take the meat out of. I used a mix of kidney and garbanzo beans with tomatoes and corn. If I could get my 8 year old to eat it I would add onions and peppers.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Chili is an easy thing to take the meat out of. I used a mix of kidney and garbanzo beans with tomatoes and corn. If I could get my 8 year old to eat it I would add onions and peppers.

Can always add tvp for texture and the appearance of a ground beef. We have fooled many a meat eater.
  • steph2740
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

Can always add tvp for texture and the appearance of a ground beef. We have fooled many a meat eater.

I've always been curious about trying TVP but never actually bought it, do you make any other meals with it that you reccommend??
  • mjwarbeck
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    What is tvp?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg-protein.html

Textured Vegetable Protein--the info below is from Bob's Red Mill brand which is what we buy. We always use it for chili, but can add to other dishes. If you go to a health food store (or possibly in your local grocery) and definitely in many Asian grocers you can find it in larger chunks/nuggets as well.

"Textured Vegetable Protein is a highly nutritious soy product. It is incredibly wealthy in complete protein and contains no fat, so it is an excellent alternative to meat. TVP® is made from defatted soy flour that has been cooked under pressure and then dried. TVP® is naturally gluten-free and is handled and packaged in our separated, dedicated gluten-free facility. It is routinely tested for cross contamination using R5 ELISA testing protocol to ensure its gluten-free status.

Although TVP® doesn't add much flavor, it's low in fat and calories, contains a wealth of complete soy protein and it's a good source of dietary fiber. Soy contains complete protein with all the amino acids essential to human nutrition, which must be supplied in the diet because they cannot be synthesized by the human body. It is also a good source of iron, magnesium and phosphorus.

Use TVP® as an extender in meat or protein patties and meatloaf, stews and soups. It works great as a protein additive for health bars, salads, cereals, baked potatoes and stuffing. It is very easy to prepare and takes on the flavor of whatever recipe to which it is added, making it an incredibly versatile addition to a wide variety of dishes. Adding TVP® to your favorite cooked dishes is a tasty and simple way to take advantage of soy's bountiful nutrition. Don’t forget to try our delicious Country Chili recipe on the back of the package!
  • mjwarbeck
    edited January 2016
    Options
    steph2740 wrote: »
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

I've always been curious about trying TVP but never actually bought it, do you make any other meals with it that you reccommend??

In theory you could use it where ever you would use ground beef. A good example would be for a lasagna..and of course chili--which can then be used in nachos, tacos, burritos etc...The larger chunks we used to use a lot more as a replacement for chicken in dishes that had sauce. The kids love it (though they still eat and love meat).

We used TVP more when my wife first gave up eating land creatures...probably 20 years ago.

If you are going into Asian grocers, you can also find various mock meats (usually based on Seitan, tofu, yam etc)...some will actually taste like the meat they are 'mocking'.

Today, we use tofu a lot...in all its various forms. Tons of good meals. Even my 2 year old sees it and shouts "Dofu!!"
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    Vegetable stir fry, baked spaghetti squash casserole (I make mine with spinach, ricotta and mozarella like a lasagna), butternut squash and black bean tacos, vegetarian chili, butternut squash soup, baked potatoes with steamed broccoli and cheddar and greek yogurt.....just some ideas.

Wow all of this sounds good!!!