Any gymnasts around?

Options
So I'm tired of weight lifting.
I have been doing it for a while but as the winter months got colder, my motivation went away...

I think I'd really enjoy gymnastics and I've been pursuing a club (which I have found!).
There are classes for adults once a week but I was wondering what to expect, how hard it is and etc...

So if anyone could shed some light and share experiences I'd be most grateful! :smile:
Also any advice on diet whilst doing gymnastics!

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I haven't been one for a long time due to back problems, but you might love it! It is insanely fun. It's really hard, but after mastering something, that part becomes easy (for the most part). That's why it's so fun, plus the fact that the feeling of the moves themselves is really a good time :)

The only advice I'd have is to be a bit fearless, as long as you are doing it in a place with the right safety equipment, of course. The moves are much easier and you'll fall less often if you don't have a worry of freezing up.

For diet, I'd eat to build muscle. You'll burn off a lot of calories doing it, depending on which equipment you're doing and how slowly the training moves (how big the class is), etc.
  • vlongg1
    vlongg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics can be a great way to keep fit, it's fun so you don't realise how much effort you're using sometimes. Although can be very frustrating when you just can't get moves or you lose them.

And can be nerve wracking. I have a competition tomorrow!

But yeah as mentioned above you have to commit to a move once you go for it or you'll injure yourself. We have a phrase 'if it feels good - keep tucked, if it feels bad- keep tucked' (for doubles)

Good luck with it and hope you have fun
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's just been hard to find a place for adults and one with more than a one day only training. Is it possible or am I clutching at straws here? lol

I have been reading up on it and the "prone to injuries" side of it sounds really scary...is that fear mongering or is it actually THAT dangerous? Really excited despite scare factor, just hope I can find a place!

Thank you :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I'd like to hear more about adult gymnastics.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ^ agreed! This is something I could really see myself getting into! I would love to hear of people's experiences in adult gymnastics classes
  • gotchalk
    gotchalk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have just started getting back into the sport at 26. I was in it from age 3-18 then coached till about age 23. It's fun to get back into it as an adult and see what you can still do. My body is just aching after an open gym but it feels great!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are there any recommended adult gymnastics programs, online or otherwise?