Help loosening weight n what the heck is a macro !?!

Options
Hello!

So I need to loose about 40 to 50 lbs. I personally want to and I need to loose due to medical reasons.

My question are:

Everyone keeps telling me I need to go vegan again to loose weight. Is that true ?

What is a macro? How dose it work? How can I find out what combo works for me ?

Juicing / 3 day cleanses do they work?

Do I need to drink shakes ? I got into a shake company and I gained all the weight back after quitting them.

Excerise: I don't really have a way at the moment to get into a gym. Is walking okay? Once we get our lives together and I can get to a gym I plan to but for know is walking with my little one in a stroller twice a week (I plan to walk a mile) okay? I may also try running ... Key word try.

Any other tips? I don't want any diet/ it works things. I've done those and I always gain it back I just want to know how to loose the weight and keep it off.

Thank you !

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    No you don't need to go vegan, you just need to eat less calories than your burn every day.

Macros (macronutrients) are proteins fats and carbs and some people include fiber.

Micros (micronutrients) are other nutrients such as vitamins and minerals

You don't need to do cleanses or drink shakes or do any fasting. You just need to eat less calories than you burn.

You don't need to exercise, you just need to eat less than you burn. although exercise helps you burn more, which means to can eat more. It also has plenty of health benefits.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hi there. galgenstrick already said really good stuff.
    xlinaxmx wrote: »
    Excerise: I don't really have a way at the moment to get into a gym. Is walking okay? Once we get our lives together and I can get to a gym I plan to but for know is walking with my little one in a stroller twice a week (I plan to walk a mile) okay? I may also try running ... Key word try.

Walking is great. Everyone should walk daily, IMO. It's like a cornerstone habit of activity to have in place that leads to all sorts of healthy stuff in the future.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    No, of course you don't need to go vegan to lose weight or be healthy

Macronutrients, often shortened to "macros" are 4 main groups that all calories can be divided into. Those 4 groups are fats, carbohydrates, protein, and alcohol. Most people just use the 3 and leave out alcohol though.

Please don't get caught up in any fad diets or any cleanses etc. Your kidneys and your liver do all the "cleansing" that your body needs.

No, don't get into shakes, eat whole foods to keep you full and lose weight. If you have trouble consuming enough protein through whole foods, then you can get some protein powder to help, but steer clear of any meal replacement shakes.

Yes, walking is fine, but I'd suggest incorporating some strength training as soon as you can. Does a body good.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Macronutrients, often shortened to "macros" are 4 main groups that all calories can be divided into. Those 4 groups are fats, carbohydrates, protein, and alcohol. Most people just use the 3 and leave out alcohol though.

Please don't get caught up in any fad diets or any cleanses etc. Your kidneys and your liver do all the "cleansing" that your body needs.

No, don't get into shakes, eat whole foods to keep you full and lose weight. If you have trouble consuming enough protein through whole foods, then you can get some protein powder to help, but steer clear of any meal replacement shakes.

Yes, walking is fine, but I'd suggest incorporating some strength training as soon as you can. Does a body good.

Aj how do you have you macros set up. I'm at 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

Aj how do you have you macros set up. I'm at 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat.

Don't use percentages of total calorie intake to calculate your macronutrients, that's not how your body works. Calculate gram amounts. If you want to maximize the potential for muscle synthesis, set your protein goal at 0.8 grams per lb of body weight. Dietary fat should be set at a minimum of 0.35 grams per lb of body weight. The rest of your calories can go to any combination of protein, fat, and carbs that you'd prefer. I suggest setting them all as carbs though.