Thyroid disease

Options
Any one else out there suffer with thyroid disease? I have hashimotos. I get irritated that my number of calories really don't seem to matter in my attempts at weight loss. I am 5'10", i try to limit my calories to 1000-1200 calories a day and i still don't lose weight. I watch my non thyroid disease friends do the same and drop 10lbs. I'm lucky in that I'm not a big person but i feel I'm heading that direction and i don't have control over it. I was so used to being able to control my weight, no problem until 5 yrs ago when i was diagnosed. I try really hard not to let it get me down but it's frustrating to follow the rules and still fail. Any one else suffer with the same issues?

Replies

• doublewhopper
    doublewhopper Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you take t4. Or dessicated thyroid?
  • nmatoua388
    nmatoua388 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with grave disease last june. It is also a thyroid disease. I were supposed to lose weight but instead I have gained 20 lbs.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have hypothryoidism, but my doctors haven't seemed very concerned with figuring out WHY my thyroid levels are low. "It's not enough to worry about". I'm on levothyroxine, but it doesn't seem to help much. The lowered energy levels are killer. You know your body can't burn calories right, so you know you need to exercise, but your energy levels are so low that just getting out of bed and going to work all day is exhausting. :(
    I found taking a B Complex with C at lunch helps my energy levels so I have a little bit of a boost to get me through the afternoon and to the pool afterwards. I don't know if that would work for you, but yeah, it's exhausting.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yup I have hypothyroidism, can lose weight but get run down/ low to no energy and fall ill easily and stop losing or put it back on.
    I am eating much better this time and taking supplements which is helping! As well as sticking to calories and macros I am eating real wholesome food.... lots of veggies and fish. This is to ensure I am not deficient in nutrients hoping my immune system will be stronger as a result.
  • vj225
    vj225 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have two cysts on my thyroid that I have to get tested .i put on 10 kilos last year :-(
  • sandymoore597
    sandymoore597 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Sandi, I too have Graves' disease I was diagnosed in 2005 I had my thyroid removed and put on replacement medication. but
    I have gained 50 lbs and it's a struggle for me all the time I have to watch what I eat, try to get in some exercise if just walking in order to at least maintain my weight if I relax and eat what I want my body hurts I feel tired I feel sluggish it's not worth it ,Plus if your weight goes up-and-down your medicine has to be changed all the time , but I'm going to continue to keep trying and never give up and knowing there's people out there that struggling with the same issues encourages me. Good luck and God bless
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid disease. It's not an excuse, once you are medicated (and figure out the quirks) you can lose weight the same as everybody else, but slower. If your friend diets and loses 5 lb in a month, expect that to take 3 months or more.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    MoreBean13 wrote: »
    I have thyroid disease. It's not an excuse, once you are medicated (and figure out the quirks) you can lose weight the same as everybody else, but slower. If your friend diets and loses 5 lb in a month, expect that to take 3 months or more.

btw ive never had high sugar
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago. tweaking the meds have been a struggle on its own. yes it's much harder to lose weight. .im on levothyroxine and armour thyroid. still feel exhausted but I just push through and not try to compare myself to anyone else
  • BeautifulArtist28
    BeautifulArtist28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I just started T4 and T3...
  • BeautifulArtist28
    BeautifulArtist28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow... all very helpful. My friends make fun of me often because I'm always tired, knowing u r all tired too makes me feel mine is more justified. I just stated taking vitimans with my T3&T4. Maybe things will start to get better! I'm feeling encouraged thank you everyone!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am newly diagnosed with Hashimoto's and am trying to get all the info I can on how to manage.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I just started T4 and T3...

It'll take 3-4 weeks before you start feeling better after starting meds. I've had Hashimoto's for over 15 years and when when my TSH levels are within normal range, I don't have trouble losing weight. However, if I'm not taking enough synthroid then I am tired, sluggish, lack motivation and have a hard time losing weight and no trouble at all gaining.

So if you've just started your meds, you need to give it some time before you really start to see a difference.
  • dinkymum
    dinkymum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any one else out there suffer with thyroid disease? I have hashimotos. I get irritated that my number of calories really don't seem to matter in my attempts at weight loss. I am 5'10", i try to limit my calories to 1000-1200 calories a day and i still don't lose weight. I watch my non thyroid disease friends do the same and drop 10lbs. I'm lucky in that I'm not a big person but i feel I'm heading that direction and i don't have control over it. I was so used to being able to control my weight, no problem until 5 yrs ago when i was diagnosed. I try really hard not to let it get me down but it's frustrating to follow the rules and still fail. Any one else suffer with the same issues?

I find exactly the same thing, it's so frustrating. It is easier once your levels are maintained but as someone mentioned any change in meds takes approx 3 months to have any effect. Just make sure if your symptoms change you get levels tested quickly. Vitamin D and Iron are also good to take. Good luck. I've been on levothyroxine for 20 years and am finally getting it under control.