soda v. seltzer

Options
Hey all,

I haven't been on here in a while but have found something super useful and thought I'd share for those who have an issue giving up soda/diet soda!

So growing up I would drink 2 liters of soda a day, diet mountain dew was my drug of choice. I tried to stop drinking soda several times but the caffeine headaches would kill me!

Well in the last two months I've cut out soda (yes, I've had it here and there while out to eat or at a bar but over all I drink nothing close to what I used to - I don't actually remember the last time I had a soda...) my trick?

Seltzer water! I never tried it before but it's just wanted I needed - I'm addicted to polar. (Those in new england will understand) It's flavored like soda and fizzy but no sugar, no salt, nothing!

As for caffeine I just drink a ton of tea! I love Yogi teas, it also has inspirational tags :)
I don't put any sweetener in them either, had to wean myself off of that too! I haven't noticed any changes in my weight or feeling but it's such a good feeling to know that I'm not drinking cokes, or pepsi anymore! I feel like I kicked a beast that a lot of people struggle with.

Yogi Tea Recommendations:
Green tea super antioxidant
perfect energy vanilla
sweet tangerine
green tea with blueberry

Seltzer:
polar orange vanilla
polar grapefruit
polar anything

Replies

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER YUMMY YOGI TEA IS CHAI ROOBIOS. I TOO HAVE BEEN USING CLUB SODA AND SELZER WATER FOR WINE SPRITZERS!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Most do have artificial sweeteners so not nothing lol and soda barely has any sodium
  • blm2894
    blm2894 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Most do have artificial sweeteners so not nothing lol and soda barely has any sodium

Then go for one without those sweeteners - which is why I suggested polar, polar doesn't have any.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not a soda drinker actually but i have a really really hard time drinking just plain water.. sometimes I find it much easier to drink seltzer or sparkling water and I add lime or lemon to it. It is easier sometimes to drink.
  • katekc22
    katekc22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    La croix is another good Substitute for soda. It's just sparking water and they have different flavors. Best sparkling water I've ever had and no sugar, sodium or caffeine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Flavored seltzer has no sweetener at all.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Polar Grapefruit is truly the greatest.
    However I'm too cheap to buy it all the time and instead make my own soda water with a Sodastream.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Our Hannaford here in NYS (Food Lion farther south) has store-brand flavored unsweetened seltzers in cans. It's soooooo cheap. They only have lemon-lime, Mandarin orange, and raspberry, but they are good. I do get "fancy" Polar flavors sometimes, but for the price, I mostly drink the cans. Raspberry is my favorite! We still buy diet soda (store brand! Lol!) but we drink a great deal less.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to my coke zero, thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is selzer just carbonated water?

I drink that
    and coke zero
    and diet 7-up
    and coffee
    I drink lots of coffee
    I like coffee
    coffee is nice
    must be the caffeine
    I may have drunk too much coffee today
    is there such a thing as too much coffee?
    I doubt it
    time to put the kettle on
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is selzer just carbonated water?

I drink that
    and coke zero
    and diet 7-up
    and coffee
    I drink lots of coffee
    I like coffee
    coffee is nice
    must be the caffeine
    I may have drunk too much coffee today
    is there such a thing as too much coffee?
    I doubt it
    time to put the kettle on

Too much coffee??? Nah. My blood looks & smells like French Roast.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    La croix is by far the best
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Congrats on kicking the soda habit. That's a hard one.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I love club soda and sparkling water! Trader Joe's sells 1.25L bottles, and I have to stop myself at one a day (just because they're kind of pricey compared to still water out of my Brita pitcher; if I had the counter space, I'd totally have a Sodastream). When fresh berries are in season, try lightly crushing 2-3 raspberries and dropping them into a glass of plain sparkling water. Chopping up a small slice of stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, etc.) works well too.