Fitbit help

Options
2»

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    Options
    I can have very lazy days this time of year so I need the negative adjustment.
  • sparkle126
    sparkle126 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Turning on negative cals will ONLY matter if you are now seeing 0 Fitbit adjustment on completed days.

When MFP estimates your total daily burn, and your Fitbit actual burn (calories total per day) is higher you earn extra calories. But if your Fitbit actual # is lower, you'd see a 0. Or if you have negatives enabled, it would lower your MFP calorie goal. So if you're regularly seeing extra calories from Fitbit, it won't matter. That means you're moving enough to burn more than MFP expected.

The problem happens when someone sets their profile to a higher activity level (example only) like moderately active, but they don't move enough. They eat what MFP tells them, they don't have as much of a deficit as expected so either don't lose weight or lose less than expected.
    Turning on negative cals will ONLY matter if you are now seeing 0 Fitbit adjustment on completed days.

When MFP estimates your total daily burn, and your Fitbit actual burn (calories total per day) is higher you earn extra calories. But if your Fitbit actual # is lower, you'd see a 0. Or if you have negatives enabled, it would lower your MFP calorie goal. So if you're regularly seeing extra calories from Fitbit, it won't matter. That means you're moving enough to burn more than MFP expected.

The problem happens when someone sets their profile to a higher activity level (example only) like moderately active, but they don't move enough. They eat what MFP tells them, they don't have as much of a deficit as expected so either don't lose weight or lose less than expected.

No didn't work all I really want on MFP is calories burnt doing activity not just generally calorie. It's still doing same as before x
  • sparkle126
    Options
    So I have burned 910 calories since midnight, it synced over to MFP as I have done 665 as exercise. Is this right all I have being doing is day to day things. Help
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sparkle126 wrote: »
    So I have burned 910 calories since midnight, it synced over to MFP as I have done 665 as exercise. Is this right all I have being doing is day to day things. Help

Doing day-to-day things does burn calories. I don't know we can know, on the basis of the information you've provided, whether or not it is accurate. But just walking around will generate a calorie burn.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi! If it's causing you that much distress then just unsync MFP from your Fitbit. Only manually add in your tracked Fitbit exercise (track by using the stop watch feature) into MFP.

Personally I love knowing how being just a little more active directly correlates with my deficit and calorie burn. It showed me that my workouts are just a portion of the picture.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment is NOT saying you've exercised for X calories. Its saying that you're on course to burn X amount more than MFP expected for the day. If you're very active early in the day you're likely to see an adjustment early on. If you have your MFP profile set to Sedentary when you're actually fairly active then you're more likely to see an adjustment.

Look at your past days of activity. What was your total daily burn according to Fitbit for yesterday, the day before, and the day before? What is your starting daily MFP calorie intake goal? What is you goal deficit per day? (1 pound per week would be 500 goal deficit.) Do these #s make sense? Like if MFP gives you a starting cal # of 1500 per day, you have a deficit of 500, and Fitbit says you burned 2800 yesterday, then 2800 - 500 (deficit) = 2300. 2300 - 1500 (MFP calorie goal) would mean you earned ~800 extra calories. The end of day #s can vary a little from between MFP & Fitbit, due to using different BMR formulas/rounding/etc. But in this example I'd expect something in the neighborhood of 800 for 'yesterday's' adjustment. You can look at your own #s to see if they make sense.
  • sparkle126
    Options
    Yes it makes sense I think that I am more active the sedentary, maybe I should change my activity to lightly active, these are my 3 overall burns this week. X
  • sparkle126
    Options
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You are much more active than the level you selected for MFP. That is going to cause the big adjustments.

That is what the adjustments mean. Your actual was different from expected.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your adjustment isn't just exercise. It is the difference between what Fitbit tracked your TDEE to be and what MFP expected your TDEE to be.

The adjustment can go up or down as your day goes on.
    If your set to Sedentary on MFP, you will see a large adjustment if you are not actually Sedentary.
    If you set your activity level higher, you will most likely start the day with a negative adjustment that will slowly get smaller as you start to get closer to your MFP estimated TDEE.

Looking at your screen shots, Fitbit is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Example:
    MFP expects me to burn 1639 calories in a day. Which is:
    68.291 calories per hour
    1.138 calories per minute

As of 10:01 am (my last Fitbit sync) Fitbit reported my calorie burn to be 731 calories.

Now, I have 13 hours 59 mins left in my day that Fitbit hasn't tracked yet.

Above, I broke down MFP's expected calories per hour and minute. Well this is where that part comes into play.

MFP sees that Fitbit says my calorie burn so far is 731 calories, but that I still have 13 hours 59 mins left to the day. So, MFP does some behind the scene math to predict what Fitbit is going to say at 11:59 pm tonight. The math:

13 * 68.291= 887.783
    59 * 1.138 = 67.142
    731 (Fitbit's burn) + 887.783 (MFP's estimate for 13 hours) + 67.142 (MFP's estimate for 59 mins) = 1685.925

So MFP estimates that Fitbit will say at midnight that my overall calorie burn was 1685.

My adjustment is then 1685 - 1639 = 46.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm set to sedentary on MFP and under normal circumstances, I can easily get an adjustment of 500 +. That's because I'm not sedentary. Sedentary by step count is typically considered less than 5k steps in a day. If you take more than that, then you are not Sedentary. Fitbit adjusts your calories based on what it tracks your activity level to be. If you set your activity level low, you get a large adjustment. If you set it too high, it will take away calories or give you no adjustment (negative adjustments needs to be turned on for it to adjust down). I'll see if I can find the information about approximate step counts and activity level.

found it:
    <5000 steps/day = 'sedentary
    5000-7499 steps/day = low active
    7500-9999 steps/day = somewhat active
    >or=10000 steps/day= active
    >12500 steps/day= highly active
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035
  • sparkle126
    Options
    Your adjustment isn't just exercise. It is the difference between what Fitbit tracked your TDEE to be and what MFP expected your TDEE to be.

The adjustment can go up or down as your day goes on.
    If your set to Sedentary on MFP, you will see a large adjustment if you are not actually Sedentary.
    If you set your activity level higher, you will most likely start the day with a negative adjustment that will slowly get smaller as you start to get closer to your MFP estimated TDEE.

Looking at your screen shots, Fitbit is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Example:
    MFP expects me to burn 1639 calories in a day. Which is:
    68.291 calories per hour
    1.138 calories per minute

As of 10:01 am (my last Fitbit sync) Fitbit reported my calorie burn to be 731 calories.

Now, I have 13 hours 59 mins left in my day that Fitbit hasn't tracked yet.

Above, I broke down MFP's expected calories per hour and minute. Well this is where that part comes into play.

MFP sees that Fitbit says my calorie burn so far is 731 calories, but that I still have 13 hours 59 mins left to the day. So, MFP does some behind the scene math to predict what Fitbit is going to say at 11:59 pm tonight. The math:

13 * 68.291= 887.783
    59 * 1.138 = 67.142
    731 (Fitbit's burn) + 887.783 (MFP's estimate for 13 hours) + 67.142 (MFP's estimate for 59 mins) = 1685.925

So MFP estimates that Fitbit will say at midnight that my overall calorie burn was 1685.

My adjustment is then 1685 - 1639 = 46.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm set to sedentary on MFP and under normal circumstances, I can easily get an adjustment of 500 +. That's because I'm not sedentary. Sedentary by step count is typically considered less than 5k steps in a day. If you take more than that, then you are not Sedentary. Fitbit adjusts your calories based on what it tracks your activity level to be. If you set your activity level low, you get a large adjustment. If you set it too high, it will take away calories or give you no adjustment (negative adjustments needs to be turned on for it to adjust down). I'll see if I can find the information about approximate step counts and activity level.

found it:
    <5000 steps/day = 'sedentary
    5000-7499 steps/day = low active
    7500-9999 steps/day = somewhat active
    >or=10000 steps/day= active
    >12500 steps/day= highly active
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

Thank you this helped
  • dustymccarter
    dustymccarter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading everyone's post and wanted to share my screen shots. I'm worried that something is not calculating correctly as I have a very high adjustment. I do work a 8 hours job where I am standing all day with zero breaks (part of a hiring agreement.) I also have viafit and my withings scale sync to Fitbit then have Fitbit sync to MFP.
    9l4bwu7esd36.png
    15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-bss0wpdpl1ta.png
    24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/3n/pryqhgo2msjs.png