Are there any ab exercises that won't hurt my back?

Options
Are there any bodyweight ab (specifically lower abs) exercises I can do that won't hurt my lower back so much?

My family has a history of Scheuermann's disease (deformed and weak spine). Although I have not been diagnosed myself, my lower back is quite weak. Some people say my lower back arches more than usual although I'm not sure if that's true, (Is it normal for your lower back not to touch the ground when you lay down? Like I have to push it down with my hips for it to touch, but it doesn't naturally.)

I do bridges daily to strengthen it, but it hurts when I do crunches...my abs can handle a lot of crunches, but my back always makes me stop before it even burns.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you suspect a health issue, talk to a dr. If the dr believes you are healthy and no restrictions apply, then you need to check yuour form. Exercises for abs affecting your back, it usually means your form is just so off, you end up putting the pressure on your neck and back instead of actually exercising your abs. Do not aim for lots of reps, aim for a few with correct form. If you feel the burn anywhere other than your abs, you are doign it wrong. Maybe a trainer woudl help?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a physical therapist.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you suspect a health issue, talk to a dr. If the dr believes you are healthy and no restrictions apply, then you need to check yuour form. Exercises for abs affecting your back, it usually means your form is just so off, you end up putting the pressure on your neck and back instead of actually exercising your abs. Do not aim for lots of reps, aim for a few with correct form. If you feel the burn anywhere other than your abs, you are doign it wrong. Maybe a trainer woudl help?

I use to go to the gym and I had 2 trainers at two different gyms...both of them were fine with my form when doing crunches and some variations like bicycle and reverse crunches.

It still hurt though, and they used to make me stop when they saw it was necessary to stretch my back (pull knees up to chin stretch).
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Yoga Booty Ballet stuff. Maybe one of these might have ideas that work for you?

Abs and Butt workout

Hip Hop and Abs
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    See a physio who can take you through both a check to determine the current health of your back, and through various exercises for your abdomen. Otherwise you have guessing and experimenting to do to figure out if you need a stronger back and would benefit from planks or static supplementary holds, if your back is okay but you need to do leg raises or other sort, or if you need posture adjustment and the pain is from lordosis. A physical therapist can take you through all of this and should give you a firm starting ground on how to strengthen your midsection in a way that will not injure or exacerbate your back.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    how are you with lying knee raises and bicycles? Some ab exercises I avoid because of lower back issues and My lower back does arch a bit too much (hereditary)
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds odd but have you tried belly dancing? It can be a great abs work out! Here's a little about it and I can happily recommend you a dvd I use that's very beginner friendly imo http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/may/12/healthandwellbeing.features4
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Talk to an orthopedist. Dont ask us. We are not trained to help you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Try looking any of these up. I have a sore back pain daily.

•Partial Sit Ups — Keep your middle/lower back on the floor at all times and raise your upper back slightly.
    •Bird Dogs
    •Knee Planks
    •Side Planks
    •Core Bridges
    •Lying Supermans
    •Prone Flutter Kicks
    . standing russian twists

• neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wood chop excercise without any equipment. skating windmill, leaning lifting crunch and rotating deadlift without weights
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    These are all standing excercises.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look some up. My back seems to be fine with most exercises, except ones like crunches where I need to continuously lift and lower something. Funny enough I do bridges...but I guess that my legs do most of the work there.
    gia07 wrote: »

•Partial Sit Ups — Keep your middle/lower back on the floor at all times and raise your upper back slightly.

^^ that's one of the problems with it, is the fact that I can't keep my back on the floor even without doing exercise my back naturally arches when I lay down.

I suppose seeing a professional won't hurt. I seem to only have problems with this particular class of exercise though. I easily do the rest.
  • sfriel68
    sfriel68 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also have back problems and an exaggerated arch, I find I can do sit ups with my knees raised and I can also do sit ups lying on a mini trampoline as it seems to support my back for some weird reason
  • carolmora
    carolmora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Pilates it strengths your back and abs
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    sfriel68 wrote: »
    I also have back problems and an exaggerated arch, I find I can do sit ups with my knees raised and I can also do sit ups lying on a mini trampoline as it seems to support my back for some weird reason

I can do them with less pain when I'm on my bed, I just wasn't sure if they still did their job when I do them that way.
  • Max7028
    Max7028 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seek an assessment from a chiropractor. U could have some physical imbalance that cause the posture problem.