Brown v white eggs?

Options
Are brown or white eggs healthier? What is the difference and benefit?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No difference. No benefits.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    They're the same nutritionally. If I remember correctly, white lobed chicken lay white eggs, while brown/red lobed chickens lay brown eggs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lol ...a relative once said this to me ...and I told her it was no difference at all just down to the chickens

She couldn't be convinced

My RL reaction was not good

She didn't speak to me for a while after..which was nice
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    lol ...a relative once said this to me ...and I told her it was no difference at all just down to the chickens

I don't know why this is making me laugh so hard . . . but I can't stop laughing.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I don't know why this is making me laugh so hard . . . but I can't stop laughing.

:bigsmile: she now sells that juice pill rubbish
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    They're the same nutritionally. If I remember correctly, white lobed chicken lay white eggs, while brown/red lobed chickens lay brown eggs.

What color are the earlobes of chickens that lay green eggs?
  • ren3liz
    ren3liz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Different breeds of hens = different color eggs. No difference but appearance. IMO backyard/free range eggs are superior in taste and quality (and I'm inclined to say nutritionally - vitamins, omegas - but I'm not qualified to make that claim) but there is no difference in calories.

@markrgeary1 Easter eggers and araucanas are two breeds that lay colored eggs - blue and/or green. :)
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    brown
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you.

We have raised our own for eggs and some meat. We always bought them based on other attributes; good layers? Able to stilll walk at 12 weeks(commercial meat birds)?
    Low mortality rste? Aggressive? Last on the list was egg color.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

"Chances are that brown eggs owe their superior health reputation to their inflated price tag. But as Caspero explains, brown eggs cost more than white eggs simply because they cost more to produce. Brown chickens are larger than their white cousins, so they eat more food, which in turn costs farmers more. And guess who pays for that? You.

Of course, this exception to the nutritional rule has its own exception. Exactly what those farmers feed their chickens, be they brown or white, influences their eggs' impact on your health. For instance, vegetarian-fed chickens aren't ever fed other chickens. (Gross, yes, and oddly reminiscent of Soylent Green, but it happens, Caspero says.) Meanwhile, organically raised, cage-free hens aren't fed anything that's been treated with antibiotics or pesticides and often have access to natural feed found in the great outdoors. The next time you're in the dairy aisle, don't judge an egg by its color—find out what the farmer fed the hen that laid it."
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ren3liz wrote: »
    Different breeds of hens = different color eggs. No difference but appearance. IMO backyard/free range eggs are superior in taste and quality (and I'm inclined to say nutritionally - vitamins, omegas - but I'm not qualified to make that claim) but there is no difference in calories.

Yep. Except that the term "free range* is pretty much meaningless when it comes to commercially produced eggs. The only requirement is access to the outside. It could be a concrete slab.

I so remember reading a study that showed a distinct nutritional difference between commercially produced eggs and pastured eggs. The latter had a much better nutritional profile. Which only stands to reason - a better diet will result in more nutritious eggs.

But if you really want a more flavorful and nutritious egg, get duck eggs.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    While we're talking about different breeds of chickens. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that these exist.

650cafb9e873e5d455c36503de39d2b7.jpg

And their meat looks like

506a022dd9127e30fc000d73._w.1500_s.fit_.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    While we're talking about different breeds of chickens. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that these exist.

Silkies are cool
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Silkies are cool

I want a few as a pet. :smiley:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are brown or white eggs healthier? What is the difference and benefit?

Only difference is the breed of chicken laying the eggs. Brown, white, green, and blue chicken eggs are all the same.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I would take any eggs produced by this beautiful blue laced red wyandotte (which lays tan colored eggs, not white and not brown):

941011_1077456508971557_1377570133556079433_n_zpssw44ll8h.jpg

• Sued0nim
    Options

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy
  • earlnabby
    Options
    egg-breeds_poultry_zpsz73rsuk1.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I am not reminded

I am informed

And kind of enraptured

Fluffy

I used to breed silky bantams. At Easter I'd dye them different colours with food dye (not my pic but you get the idea):

38958095_12bdcf103d.jpg