Hunger caused by lifting? Small Frequent Meals for Lifting?

Options
Hey everyone, Hope you are having a good one. Im here at Snowmegaddon with a question. They say that you can have issues with hunger after you start lifting due to changes in your body. Is that true? What causes it? I have been having lots of female hormonal changes this week coupled with it being my second week of lifting and Im wondering if that is playing a role.

One of the posters on a subreddit I subscribe to about lifting mentioned that you can try eating small meals every 2 hours to help with hunger. Does anyone else do this?

I am finding that doing IFFYM kind of requires some premeal planning and wondering if anyone else who lifts plans their meals in advance?

Thanks

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a few months ago and didn't notice a difference in hunger. I eat five times a day tho. So my meals are all broken up with pretty much same calories and macros. Maybe that is what keeps me full, not sure.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lift and eat 3 meals a day plus a snack if I have calories left.Eating every 2 hours would be a PITA and all I'd do all day is think of food. No thanks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I lift and have for 3 1/2 years and I notice Im more hungry the next day. but I eat throughout the day spaced apart of course. but if you are having hormonal changes that can make you more hungry as well. I know it does for me. make sure you get plenty of water,fiber,protein and healthy fats to make you feel full longer and less hungry. I eat about every 4 hrs but thats what works for me. may not work for everyone.if you want to try to eat smaller more frequent meals then go ahead. see if it helps. only thing you can do is try. also are you netting too low calories? if so that can make you more hungry too. you have to make sure you fuel your body. so make sure you are getting the right amount of calories and nutrients.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hunger is controlled by the hormones ghrelin and leptin. these hormones are also easily impacted by stress and sleep so maybe that's an issue for you?

for me personally i get hungrier the next day probably because my body is repairing what happened the day before. i also notice that when i do HIIT i completely lose my appetite and have to remind myself to eat.

the small frequent meals may work for you. just try it out and see what happens
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Carbs = hunger. Cut your carbs, cut your hunger! Keep carbs under 100 grams/day.