Food poisoning and making sure you're have calories

Options
Hey guys. Had bad food poisoning the last couple of days and I want to make sure I'm eating to keep up my strength, drinking a lot of high calorie drinks to keep down but I want to know does your calories still count if you throw up? Had a banana and about 30 mins later or came back up. Just concerned because I want to make sure I'm still eating okay.

Also any foods and drinks recommendation to help me through this! Thanks!

Replies

• itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just try and keep water down (boil it and let it cool to get rid of bacteria)

My mother used to say just eat dry toast and then introduce very simple starchy foods like plain boiled potatoes or rice or maybe plain scrambled egg?

You must be feeling very run down-I hope you feel better soon :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Try the BRAT diet till you feel better: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast (and/or Tea). Eat very small amounts at a time.

You haven't eaten any packaged Dole salads in the past month, have you? There's a reported listeria outbreak in the US. If you think you may have been infected, you should seek medical treatment. http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/bagged-salads-01-16/index.html

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    +1 for the BRAT diet. Don't worry about getting enough calories until your body recovers.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Don't force your body to do anything. If you keep throwing stuff up, then you need to back off for a bit. Try to keep yourself hydrated. Once you can keep down water, then start with something very mild like dry toast, moving on to things like rice or scrambled eggs (I always craved scrambled eggs after I was ill).
  • mizukikuro
    mizukikuro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I'll try apple sauce and toast. Love water so been drinking that :)!!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalized for food poisoning. They gave IV fluids and after the second day my belly settled and they allowed liquids, broth/jello an hour later. Don't rush it. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bananas never worked for me with food poisoning either.. if they're not completely ripe they are harder to digest. Just make sure you're staying hydrated... Popsicles are pretty neat for that. Then move to jello. Then you can move to saltine crackers and toast, chicken broth etc.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if youre sick dont worry about it

who wants to eat anything when theyre sick from food poisoning?

just try to keep some clear fluid or broth down.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too. Thinking of trying to have an English muffin and some apple juice in a bit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother counting calories right now. In the coming days as you are feeling better, then worry about it. Also, feel better soon :frowning: