Mexican Food

Options
Heading our for a birthday dinner tonight. What do you like to order that is pretty low cal.

Replies

• eatearth
    eatearth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas is what I use to get when I went out for Mexican! It's generally a lot of veggies and some chicken with maybe some salsa and guac on the side, served with some tortillas. I would generally eat half at the restaurant and bring half home for lunch the next day! Just make sure to skip the sour cream if you want ensure low cal. Have fun and enjoy your dinner!
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm thinking corn tortillas. I would think they are lower calorie that flour.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Try to avoid anything deep fried, including the tortilla chips. You should be able to fit in 2 T of sour cream if you keep the rest reasonable.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm thinking corn tortillas. I would think they are lower calorie that flour.

Yes, corn tortillas are usually lower calorie, as long as they aren't deep fried.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Yes, corn tortillas are usually lower calorie, as long as they aren't deep fried.

Good deal. I think Fajitas will be my go to. If I do eat chips, it's usually not more than 3-4 so I at least get the taste.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid anything deep fried, including the tortilla chips. You should be able to fit in 2 T of sour cream if you keep the rest reasonable.

You can eat 2 corn for tge calories of 1 flour
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Some resturaunts have grilled chicken salads and you can put salsa on it instead of dressing tastes good. If not on menue ask they may have it. Or you can order a taco salad without the shell.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't trust all the oils in Fajita, personally...

I usually go with 2 tacos. It's typically 350ish calories a taco, sometimes less, and as long as I only get veggies on the side, I can fit that. Or a salad with salsa for dressing and light on the cheese and no sour cream (and no shell too... gosh I love those shells but they are like 300 calories by themselves).
  • jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I generally order one Ala care item, a chili relleno or one taco or one enchilada, then ask for a side salad. I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the salads I've gotten at different Mexican restaurants.

Oh, and have one beer or one Margarita if it's a rare occurrence.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    mmmm mexican food....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas would be even better--not so dry, lower in calories.

If you are going to an authentic place (no fajitas) try a ceviche. As long as you don't eat the chips/tortillas/plantains that come with it, the nutrition is fabulous.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a shredded beef chimichanga with sour cream, rice, and refried beans. We had lunch portions so somewhat smaller than dinner portions so I chose to eat it all, and limit the chips and salsa to about 10 chips. I enjoyed as it is my favorite meal there. In preparation for this late lunch, I ate a small breakfast, and lite sandwich to hold me over. I didn't eat supper later as I was still full. Water to drink. If this were a supper meal, I probably would have ordered the same thing, gotten my to go box early and set aside half my meal before eating. I still would have savored and enjoyed the company I was with. You can always exercise a little more tomorrow.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Or, enjoy what you REALLY want within reason & fit it into your weekly total. Not hard at all.