How does MFP make this work?

Options
So since starting this program I have lost some pounds. I seem to look skinner. But here is the thing. How does this work? I lose exactly one pound a week, no workout, just staying under my calories. How do they figure out exactly how many calories I need to loose weight? The program is right on target. I'm not trying to make this more complicated, but just Nothing else worked before.

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of formulas and calculations that they do in order to figure this out. It has to do with your age, height, weight, activity levels, and your goals. The formulas aren't perfect but it is a decent enough calculation.

Just don't go below 1200. How many calories are you eating per day?
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    MFP is a tool to aid you in achieving your health, weight loss, and fitness goals. It helps you create a calorie deficit based on the information you supply upon creating your account. Each program uses its own calculations to determine the actual amount of calories you should consume. But, you are the one actually doing the work, as MFP only tracks what you choose to log. So, it's effectiveness and accuracy depends hugely on you.

Calorie tracking tends to be successful because it forces you to be accountable for your caloric intake, which in turn encourages you to make healthier choices.
  • jonathanp2
    jonathanp2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1650. I'm 5'7. I put sedentary I am always under by 100 or more
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah well it looks like MFP is working for you! I think each website has it's own way of calculating and it's hard to know exactly what numbers get thrown together to do their calculations...but as long as your current plan is working out for you, then great job! Keep it up :bigsmile: