Might be unpleasant but need to ask

Options
Am I the only one that has a hard time going poop when I eat healthier? I don't understand. I went from twice a day to like once every few days....any ideas???

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Increased fiber? It can cause constipation and bloating.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You're consuming less food...so there's less waste. Are you uncomfortable or is this just concern because it's less frequent?

Lower frequency is directly related to less food going in.

If you're uncomfortable and/or it's hard to go, make sure you're getting enough fiber, fat and water/fluids to keep things moving.

~Lyssa
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take Magnesium Citrate tabs/caps twice a day, morning and evening. No more problem. :)
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I had this happen when I first changed my eating habits. less crap in less crap out. As long as you aren't straining to go when you do go I wouldn't be too worried. Once my body adjusted things got better, and I also started drinking lots more water and upped my fiber intake a bit.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've actually had an easier time. I assume it's because I've increased my water intake so much.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Less food, more nutritious food all means less waste so less poop!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Well "eat healthier" can mean a whole bunch of things. Sort of hard to answer. But twice a day seems like a lot.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you starving yourself?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A few possibilities:
    * reduced fat intake can slow things down
    * insufficient fiber can slow things down
    * less in, less waste
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    In college I lived in a house with 3 other girls. 2 were overweight, 2 were thin. The two overweight girls pooped everyday. The two thin girls pooped every 3 days.

I'd say that since it's not hard for you to go, and you don't feel uncomfortable between poops, then it's simply because your body doesn't have as much to get rid of as quickly.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I find oatmeal every morning helps move things along.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Nope! Between all the water, fibre, healthy fats and daily exercise everything works a-ok. I still eat a high volume of food - lots of veggies in particular. Once or twice day is normal for me. I find unhealthy eating makes my digestive system very unhappy - I get constipated and bloated.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well "eat healthier" can mean a whole bunch of things. Sort of hard to answer. But twice a day seems like a lot.

It's not actually. Normal varies widely from person to person. Every few days to several times a day is all normal.
    crb426 wrote: »
    In college I lived in a house with 3 other girls. 2 were overweight, 2 were thin. The two overweight girls pooped everyday. The two thin girls pooped every 3 days.

I'd say that since it's not hard for you to go, and you don't feel uncomfortable between poops, then it's simply because your body doesn't have as much to get rid of as quickly.

Ahh anec-data, what's your point? All of those can be normal bowel habits.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,015 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and usually go every couple of days. My husband is not overweight and he goes at least once usually twice a day. To say that thin people don't go as frequently as overweight people isn't necessarily true.

Like others have said if you aren't feeling uncomfortable and it is just different then don't worry about it. If it is difficult to go then try increasing your fiber but make sure you drink plenty of water. Too much fiber without enough water can make it worse.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you are eating less fat and oils now.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer of having at least one meal a day with olive oil. Also I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. It just makes my innards feel better, plus I'm like Sheldon in "Big Bang Theory" between 9-10am. I have a serving of spinach a day or every meal when I feel like it, don't know if that has something to do with it :-)
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and there isn't really a "normal", it's just if you're physically comfortable or not that really matters. Do you feel bloated? Stuffed up? It all depends on you.

I have to totally disagree with the "less stuff in less stuff out" thing. For me, when I eat healthier I poo a lot more. Very often actually lol. When I eat not so well, it happens less.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal and depends on what you eat. I believe fiber and water help.