Why? And how it is helping me everyday

Options
M30834134
M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
WHY? What is YOUR why? How is a "why" of the moment compares to your other "whys"?

A very long while back I had posted on another board about understanding why you are on this journey and it has always been on the back of my mind. Recently another user on that board posted about “finding your WHY” and then someone resurrected post by @MikePXstream (What is your WHY? which ignited my thoughts even further.

So, I started purposefully questioning everything – why?

I’m about to eat – why? Well, because it is time to eat and I need my energy and nutrients.

Then I went to the gym – why? Because I like it, it helps me stay healthy; it helps me with my goals.

Then, one night, I was about to munch on some candies – why? I was thinking and simply couldn’t find a good reason for that “why”. Because I wanted to? But what about my day’s work staying within budget? What about my goal (for which I have another, bigger “why”). I stood there for a few moments thinking and decided that the candy’s “why” was not big enough to overpower my others “whys”. This process made it so much easier to rationalize and get my head thinking straight.

So, for a couple of weeks I’m trying to always answer the “why” of the moment and compare it to my long standing “whys” and it seems to be helping quite a lot. I will definitely keep this up.

So, the next time you are about to devour something – just ask yourself: why and once your find and quantify your “whys”, making the right decision and the journey itself should become so much easier. Instead of asking “what to do” or "how do I", ask and try to answer the “why” instead.

Replies

• healthynewme67
    healthynewme67 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My 'why' is that I want to be the best me, I can possibly be. I want to show my daughters and my grandchildren that making healthy choices is good and is easy to do. I want to be able to 'keep up with them'. I like your idea of questioning why, when the urge to eat something that isn't necessarily in your calorie budget and comparing it to your bigger why. I may just steal that idea. lol.
  • nharrison2672
    nharrison2672 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My "why" is that I want to live. It may not be the why you're looking for, but it's why I'm on this app. I had a mild heart attack at 43, just a few weeks ago. Thought I was invincible and was shown I'm not. I'm not ready to leave this world. I have many changes to make, even though I don't want to, but I have to. I need as much support as I'm ready to give. I don't have kids of my own, but I have a step son and 3 nieces & 3 nephews I adore & want to hang around for. I'm willing to tough it out for you if you're willing to tough it out for me!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    For me, the "why" moments are quite frequent. They remain the same for the most part, but now and then I find a new one.

But on the flip side, I also give myself "why not" moments, where I can fit something in without damage to my overall goals. I want to be fit to live longer and a host of other reasons, but I don't want to live forever if I have to deprive myself of many of the things I enjoy.