Question about fat changing while loosing...

Options
Hey everyone,

Odd question. I have been working out everyday since January 4th doing water aerobics 3 days a week and walking 4 days a week plus light weights 3 evenings a week. I have lost 9 pounds now! I have started eating cleaner and getting better about tracking on my fitness pal. But I noticed today when I was putting lotion on that my fat deposits are lumpy now instead of smooth like they used to be. They almost feel like they have pea shapes forming. I am morbidly obese I am down to 296 from my highest of 325 last summer. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Thanks to anyone that knows! :)

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I used to get this a lot when plateauing and would usually have a big drop shortly after. I think its when our fat cells replace the fat with water before releasing it, some ppl call it a whoosh
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Odd question. I have been working out everyday since January 4th doing water aerobics 3 days a week and walking 4 days a week plus light weights 3 evenings a week. I have lost 9 pounds now! I have started eating cleaner and getting better about tracking on my fitness pal. But I noticed today when I was putting lotion on that my fat deposits are lumpy now instead of smooth like they used to be. They almost feel like they have pea shapes forming. I am morbidly obese I am down to 296 from my highest of 325 last summer. I don't know if this is normal or not.

This is normal

Squishy fat

it's a transitional sign that you're on the right path ...keep it up
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbs under 100 grams/day. :)
  • weightlossmayhem
    weightlossmayhem Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense to me! Thanks for the help :)
  • krinkjazz
    krinkjazz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you seen any improvement? I am going through the same thing. It's pretty scary... So lumpy...
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

Have a read of this article it makes interesting reading. The marbling of fat is common and many of us have experienced it.
  • krinkjazz
    Options
    Thanks Clare. Did it last a long time?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal and yes, unsightly. But, it WILL get better over time. Heavy lifting and running (on alternate days) have helped me -- but my arms, stomach and thighs are still lumpy. Google: "whooshes and squishy fat" for a detailed explanation.
  • krinkjazz
    Options
    Thanks Nowine-- I guess I am looking for a time frame. I have had them for a few months-- even though I am still losing. Does you fat just look lumpy-- or does it actually have lumps in it?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

This is normal

Squishy fat

it's a transitional sign that you're on the right path ...keep it up

all of this.
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Reduce carbs under 100 grams/day. :)

and to this why?????
  • zalmann919
    zalmann919 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    krinkjazz wrote: »
    Thanks Nowine-- I guess I am looking for a time frame. I have had them for a few months-- even though I am still losing. Does you fat just look lumpy-- or does it actually have lumps in it?

It's both looks and feel. It's like subcutaneous popcorn embedded in loose pizza dough - some of it is popped, some is not. It appears, then disappears and resurfaces somewhere else.

It's this phenomenon that is teaching me to pay more attention to my calorie and exercise tracking and less to my weight. The former will take care of the latter. Getting that backwards causes a lot of unnecessary inner turmoil.
  • krinkjazz
    Options
    Thank you guys! I literally have it EVERYWHERE now-- but it hasn't disappeared from a location yet... I guess I'll just keep going!! :)