How many calories do you think fidgeting burns?

Options
I move ALL the time. When I stand... I sway left and right, forward and backward. When I sit down or lay down, I'm either playing with my fingers or moving my feet. The only time I'm still is when I'm sleeping. How many calories do you think moving all the time burns?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn are figured in into your TDEE
    I move ALL the time. When I stand... I sway left and right, forward and backward. When I sit down or lay down, I'm either playing with my fingers or moving my feet. The only time I'm still is when I'm sleeping. [b/]How many calories do you think moving all the time burns?

Honestly, no as much as you think.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Enough to earn you a Tootsie Pop?
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Or enough for extra cream in my coffee? :tongue:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Once a week maybe!
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Once a week maybe!

Aww :disappointed: I need to talk on the phone more! When I'm on the phone I have a habit of walking round and round and round the dining table. :lol: I swear I walk like an extra mile when I do that

I once talked on the phone for 2 hours with someone. Pacing back and forth and all around the table. My back was so sore after those two hours.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not enough to log.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If its something you have ALWAYS done and you still gained weight, then don't factor it in now you are trying to lose weight.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    If its something you have ALWAYS done and you still gained weight, then don't factor it in now you are trying to lose weight.

I don't really factor it in. It's more for curiousity's sake. Just before I made this post I was watching television and tapping my foot and when my foot started cramping it came to my attention that I was fidgeting again. And then I was just like: "gee I wonder how many calories this burns?"
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's in your TDEE estimate already, http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/4/E670.long might be of interest, also covered in a podcast with transcript http://www.completehumanperformance.com/fat-loss-fidgeting-podcast/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lol OP, I've been wondering too. I know it increases our TDEE by a little, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 50 calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Not enough to worry about
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe more than you think:

from cathe.com

"Those extra little movements that fidgeters do doing the day add up. According to Dr. James A. Levine from the Mayo Clinic who authored a study on fidgeting, those extra movements add up to as much as 350 extra calories burned a day, the equivalent of a 30-minute jog. That extra 350 calories can really add up and, possibly, explain why people who fidget are often leaner. Even more surprising is a study published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise showing that fidgeting has some of the same benefits as a structured workout. In this study, researchers found that perpetual fidgeters boosted their aerobic capacity by fidgeting."
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

from cathe.com

"Those extra little movements that fidgeters do doing the day add up. According to Dr. James A. Levine from the Mayo Clinic who authored a study on fidgeting, those extra movements add up to as much as 350 extra calories burned a day, the equivalent of a 30-minute jog. That extra 350 calories can really add up and, possibly, explain why people who fidget are often leaner. Even more surprising is a study published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise showing that fidgeting has some of the same benefits as a structured workout. In this study, researchers found that perpetual fidgeters boosted their aerobic capacity by fidgeting."

I read that yeah! I'm a little bit cautious of believing anything I read on mayoclinic though :wink:
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does help, but I wouldn't eat more (like extra cream in your coffee) because you think you "earned" it through fidgets. Consider it a little extra buffer that will help your weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

from cathe.com

Depends on your definition of 'fidgeting' though. There's a difference between moving your legs and feet when sitting and getting up all the time to do something because you hate sitting in place too long.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    http://michigantoday.umich.edu/youre-about-to-have-a-moving-experience/

This was the closest I got to a credible source in a brief net search.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    someone else posted about this. And an overwhelming amount of sites mentioned 150-300 calories. I reckon you'd have to an Olympic level fidgeter to burn those numbers..
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not enough to even matter ime. I fidget all the time and still managed to gain weight over the years.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Last year i participated in a study and for me the average was 227 calories more on a daily base on average.
    The overall average was 311 a day on 1000 people tested over 14 days

95069916.png