Need advice... too many carbs!

Options
I have been eating majority fruits and vegetables with some dark chocolate, legumes and nuts. Since so in the last 2 months, my carbs daily has been quite high due to all the fruits and vegetables. Does anyone have any significant insight into whether it is bad to have a high Carb diet, even though it's from clean plant based foods?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No it's not

Carbs are a great and delicious macro and not the devil

Make sure you're getting a wide nutritional spread, view protein and fat goals as minimums to reach and let go of any thought you have that carbs are bad

I lost over 53lbs and maintain eating about 50-60% my diet I'm carbs (250-350g on average)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you also get adequate amounts of protein and fat (rule of thumb: at least one gram of each per kilo of your bodyweight at a normal BMI), stick to your calorie goal, and eat a varied diet, no problem.

Oh, and "clean" has no real meaning when it comes to food. Just focus on food that is not too heavily processed (you get to decide how processed is too processed) and you'll be fine!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your body handles it, if you're young fit active and not insulin resistant you can probably eat any combination of macros. I would be in a hyperglycaemic slump getting fatter daily on a high carb diet. Your food choices sound positive especially if vegetables are more than fruits.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut out the legumes, and reduce fruit. Keep carbs below 100 grams/day.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "clean" means. It seems to me to mean whatever the user wants it to mean. Which makes it a silly, meaningless term. I always wonder if the person using it isn't washing their fruits and veggies before eating. ;) Now having gotten that out of the way --

I eat lower carb because it works for me. I feel MUCH better eating that way, for a variety of reasons. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a carb heavy diet if it works for you.
  • leehmpf
    leehmpf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    By clean I mean foods that have not been modified/had additives in any way. I eat organicfoods that come in their most purest forms. none of this processed crap and i stay away from foods with preservatives. Kind of straight forward, right?
    I don't understand why people use the term superfood, when they are simply just healthy foods high in a certain nutrient, but hey we all have terms we use in our vocabulary. No need to be smart
  • leehmpf
    leehmpf Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • tcs1991ts
    tcs1991ts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your caloric goals everyday you are fine. Carbs are your bodies source of energy so it def is not a negative. Generally I shoot for carbs to make up about 45% of my daily caloric needs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight averaging 150-300 grams of carbs a day, both clean and dirty. The kinds of foods you eat and how many carbs you get has little to no effect on weight loss. As long as you don't completely skip on protein and fat you should be fine.