Silly question about weighing chicken drumsticks!

Options
So i bought a pack of chicken drumsticks to marinate, anyway, i weighed three out and it was 294g in total. So i put that into my fitness pal. Anyway, obviously in a chicken drumstick is the bone which you don't eat, but that is part of the weight and therefore part of the calories. SO I'm technically not eating every calorie of a chicken drumstick as you don't eat the bone? So what do i put into mfp or do they take this into account? *feeling stupid*

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just weigh the bone after eating and remove the weight from your entry.
  • f1tness4life
    f1tness4life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ok.. that makes sense lol Thanks :)
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When you check calories make sure to check if it's boneless or not.
    If you got calories for full drumstick (bone included) they already removed the "extra calories".
    The problem with weighing after you cooked it is that it changes weight, depending on the method you used to cook it.
    Best way would be to remove the bone before cooking it.
    I generally just weigh it with the bone and use those calories, I don't remove anything afterwards.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just use the 'cooked dark meat' entries for that kind of stuff.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Been wondering the exact same thing!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly I just use the 'cooked dark meat' entries for that kind of stuff.

This is I do, too, especially if I'm batch cooking or it's a meal shared with others. It is just more practical to use the cooked weight entry in that situation and weigh when I plate my portion (removing bone, of course).

I reserve the raw weight entry for single portions of meat I'm preparing for myself (one boneless thigh, fish filet, steak, etc.).