What to eat pre/post workout?!

Options
Hey guys! Just wondering what you all do pre/post workout. I've heard so many different theories and I just wanted to see what you guys are doing. What are you eating before/after, if anything? How long before/after are you eating something? Is it better to workout on an empty stomach? Opinions on "preworkout" drinks/supplements? Just want to make sure im being the most productive with my workout and not sabotaging it with what I consume before or after. Thanks for your opinions! :)

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Before 1/2 cup cheerios with skim milk. After just depends what I feel like eating.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For the most part you should or shouldn't eat based on your personal preference. The other suggestions (even based on science) are usually meant for competitive athletes or people looking to gain a very very tiny advantage over competition. I prefer to have something about 2 hours before a workout, then I have lunch shortly after (sometimes I am not hungry and I just wait until I am).
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Before 1/2 cup cheerios with skim milk. After just depends what I feel like eating.

Thanks! How soon before your workout do you have your cereal?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like to leave about 90 minutes at least before working out after a proper meal. 2 hours plus if I'm running.

First thing before breakfast is ideal for me, and then I eat after. Sometimes I won't have much appetite for a few hours after a long run so I just have a protein shake made with milk and a banana blended in.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    the man who runs the classes I take at my gym always says the best thing to have post-workout is 1 cup chocolate milk.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I have coffee & bcaa supplement pre workout & whey protein shake after. The protein shake is my first meal of the day as I'm doing a 16:8 fast.
  • Ibshealthfitnesswithashleys
    Options
    I weight lift at the gym so I do a pre workout shake and a post workout shake each contain the following

1/2 banana
    2 scoops of Tera whey protein
    3 ounces of Greek plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon of powdered peanut butter
    1/4 cup of water
    4 ice cubes
    On rest days I only do one shake. Your body needs protein and you need to hydrate your muscles with protein before a workout and you need to rejuvenate or replenish your back with protein after a workout. It honestly depends what your doing most of the time but this is for me
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    For the most part you should or shouldn't eat based on your personal preference. The other suggestions (even based on science) are usually meant for competitive athletes or people looking to gain a very very tiny advantage over competition. I prefer to have something about 2 hours before a workout, then I have lunch shortly after (sometimes I am not hungry and I just wait until I am).

This. As @usmcmp says there is science out there showing meal timing can make a difference for those looking for the slight edge. The other 99%+ of us have much to work on diet and exercise wise before we get to that point.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This.
    For the vast majority of folks doing what you'd normally want to do is what you should do. Don't sweat timing, protein dosing etc. if you're one of the 99% of us who are working out.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    As a swimmer, I don't like to eat for a good two hours before I exercise. I usually swim on my lunch hour and then eat lunch immediately afterward. Usually involves high protein high veggie meal
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It depends on you. Generally speaking, some carbs eaten 30-60 minutes before the workout works for most people. Post-workout, something with protein and something with a bit of sugar or simple carbs.

Me, I don't do pre-workout meals because there's a chance I might not keep it down. Post workout I'll usually grab a piece of fruit and chug a protein shake.