sick from cutting carbs or just sick..

Options
Im desperately trying to beat bulimia by teaching myself how to eat properly. I was a sweets bringer so I was consuming massive amounts of carbs. Now not barfing n not eating carbs ive been super sick last couple days. I read this might b normal from cutting carbs? Or am I sick from keeping food down? Or just sick??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "sick"?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly went from lots of carbs to under 50 grams per day, you may be experiencing "keto flu." Paging @nvmomketo to give you more info.

Are you getting professional help for your bulimia? Cognitive behavioral therapy is supposed to be especially effective for eating disorders.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto flu could be it. Keto flu is actually just low electrolytes. When you cut carbs you will lose water weight which causes your electrolyte levels to plummet. Low electrolytes really does feel like a flu: headaches, fatigue, muscle aches and nausea are not unusual. It feels all the worse if your body is adjusting to burning fats rather glucose for fuel; that will make you tired to begin with.

To rebalance it you need to up your electrolytes. A Lot! For people who are eating a very low carb diet, increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg per day is needed. I know it sounds like a ridiculous amount, but it really does help and is often necessary. Try eating broth from bullion cubes a couple of ties per day, salt food liberally, or even try adding a teaspoon of salt to a glass of water.

Also, when sodium gets low it will deplete your body of potassium and magnesium to regain that electrolyte balance. Supplementing K and Mg (magnesium citrate) will help too.

People in the subgroup, Low Carber Daily can give you more help with this.

I wish you luck. I hope a low carb high fat diet agrees with you and helps you with your recovery.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Im desperately trying to beat bulimia by teaching myself how to eat properly. I was a sweets bringer so I was consuming massive amounts of carbs. Now not barfing n not eating carbs ive been super sick last couple days. I read this might b normal from cutting carbs? Or am I sick from keeping food down? Or just sick??

This sounds like a good question for your treatment team if you're working with a doctor or therapist. They'd be able to give you a far more informed opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good question for your treatment team if you're working with a doctor or therapist. They'd be able to give you a far more informed opinion.

This
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Most doctors have no training in nutrition, and will put you on the 40 year old incorrect diet of low fat/high carb. This is what created the obesity epidemic in the first place. Do your own research!
  • MegWaymire
    MegWaymire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pickles are also good to help with electrolyte imbalances!
  • QueenBee0413
    QueenBee0413 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you suddenly went from lots of carbs to under 50 grams per day, you may be experiencing "keto flu." Paging @nvmomketo to give you more info.

Are you getting professional help for your bulimia? Cognitive behavioral therapy is supposed to be especially effective for eating disorders.

Im seeing a therapist yes but mostly on my own and using tools from my program of a.a. (im a recovering alcoholic too..)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Qft

I would run this new diet plan past your treatment team for sure
  • QueenBee0413
    QueenBee0413 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Will up sodium (my electrolytes are prob in the toilet from barfing 10+ times daily) and debating on getting glucose tabs. Also calling family doc in am to get myself checked. The dizziness is a little much.. chest tightness and palpitations now too n blurry vision. All signs of hypoglycemia but not cool...