Chia, flax, what are the benefits?

Options
I'm thinking about adding chia and/or flax to my breakfast smoothie, but I have no idea where to begin. What are the benefits of doing this? How much should I add? I've seen chia powder, is that better or the same as the seeds? Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

My smoothie is 1/2 c. ff greek yogurt, 1/2 cup 1% milk and 1 cup frozen mixed berries and 1 Tbs honey. It's pretty thick, but I like it that way, makes me feel like it's a decadent treat.

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I add 1-3 tablespoons of chia seeds or hemp heart seeds to my smoothies. They make the smoothies more filling and add some protein and omega 3 fatty acids.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    I bet chia powder goes rancid faster than the seeds - this is true for ground flax. I buy whole flax and grind some every few days in a coffee/spice grinder. I soak the chia seeds for 15-60 minutes in room temperature water. You could also soak them overnight in the frig if you don't have this time in the AM.

I'm full for hours on this, plus it takes a really long time to drink. I use tea for the liquid.

qcqxew2d0d0g.jpg
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    So you have to soak the chia seeds before you add them? I'm still confused about the benefits of both. Which are better or do they do different things? Do either of them have a flavor to them or do they fade into the background?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I made these without soaking the chia seeds first and was picking them out of my teeth for quite some time: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

They were otherwise quite good.

Here's why you should soak them: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Eat-Chia-Seeds-35976785

In one patient case study, one man experienced intense dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing, after ingesting a tablespoon of dry chia seeds and chasing it with water. One of the reasons chia seeds are touted for weight loss is because they expand multiple times their size in water and help you feel full for longer. However, taking down a dry tablespoon and chasing it back with H2O is not going to lead to a comfortable experience, since they don't have time to reach your stomach to expand.

Soaking chia seeds in water before you eat them is safe; after they're soaked, chia seeds develop a gelatinous coating which some raw foodists believe helps them to move swiftly through the digestive track. Other evidence suggests that consuming ground chia seeds, rather than whole seeds, allows significantly more ALA (the plant form of omega-3 fatty acids) to reach the bloodstream. With all that said, there is limited scientific research to which method is truly the best when it comes to nutrient absorption.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds you can eat straight away. Flax seeds need to be ground up.

Chia seeds need not be soaked, this just creates a gel that some people find more palatable. If you're drinking them in a smoothie the same effect will occur in your stomach.

Both are good sources of ALA (omega-3 fatty acid). They both have a ratio of 3:1 omega-3:6. Most people get way too much omega-6 which can produce inflammation in the body. Experts recommend not exceeding a 1:3 ratio in your diet.

Flavor wise, chia is tasteless while flax has a more robust flavor.

Neither are magical foods but they do contain a variety of nutrients that can be useful as part of a healthy diet. Good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    https://www.google.com.au/#q=chia+seeds+vs+flax+seeds

I've never soaked chia seeds but I have never thought to down a dry tablespoon of them...
    I throw them straight into my smoothie. They are a good source of protein, fat, fibre and are filling.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I also googled both and I think for my first foray I'm going to try flax seeds. When these are done, I'll try out the chia. The gelatinous texture is kind of off putting to me as I have a problem with 'strange' textures. Thanks again!
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get more fiber in my diet, so I'm eating more "seeds". I love yogurt, and throw about one tabl of chia seeds in my yogurt. I also sometimes just throw chia seeds into my salad, or oatmeal as well. They are pretty tasteless. No need to soak them ahead of time.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    bambione wrote: »
    I'm trying to get more fiber in my diet, so I'm eating more "seeds". I love yogurt, and throw about one tabl of chia seeds in my yogurt. I also sometimes just throw chia seeds into my salad, or oatmeal as well. They are pretty tasteless. No need to soak them ahead of time.

Don't they get stuck in your teeth?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bambione wrote: »

Don't they get stuck in your teeth?

Haha yep! Floss is your friend when eating chia seeds.
  • yoursingingrealtor
    yoursingingrealtor Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of chia in my shakes along with flax and hemp seeds. I don't notice the sliminess of the chia at all.